Thread: Purple Sandpiper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Purple Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Been having major monitor issues lately so have not posted anything. This Purple Sandpiper was photgraphed last winter in Queens, NY. In order to get this shot I had to stand in the freezing cold Atlantic Ocean for about an hour so that the birds go comfortable with my presence. These birds are common winter visitors to my area but extremely difficult to get a good angle on one as they are always out at the end of a jetty, or are well below eye level. So when I had the opportunity to get one at eye level I was not going to miss it. Especially with a cloudless sky and that perfect warm light of the setting sun. This was taken as the shadows were hitting the jetty. Sun fully set just moments later.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1250, F9, SS 1/1600.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember seeing this on your iPhone...glad I could see it on a proper monitor! I love the diagonals lying in parallel between the rock and the bird's bill, as well as the feather detail on the face and breast. I hope this winter I can put on some neoprene waders and find a few of my own!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this one. I don't see anything to improve. I like the light, pose and the rock and the bird. I haven't seen that bird in real life yet but it is present in Europe during winter so i might get a chance in the future.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet. You handled a usually awkward postural situation (3/4 facing ...) perfectly with a great and appropriate head angle.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: you are not too far from the Barnegat Jetty. This species is easy there in winter. Folks can check out the Barnegat Jetty Site Guide that I did with Denise Ippolito here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Isaac pin sharp. I like the image as presented.
    If this is cropped you wish to consider making the crop a little less, also removing the blue from the seaweed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose, albeit a little unusual, and composition that works nicely Isaac. Sounds like you went well beyond the 'call of duty' to get this which makes it a doubly pleasing image. Tone, detail and colour look great and the perch is interesting and a bit different which adds interest. No nits from me on this - thanks for sharing. PS, I'm wondering why it's called a 'Purple' sandpiper though (not being familiar with the species).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone. Jonathan, the is about full frame. There were 2 rows of rocks on the jetty. The birds were mostly sticking to the back portion of the jetty but as the tide was coming in they were moving towards me. The blue in the rocks is from a wave that had just hit the rocks. It is water reflecting off of the rocks and not really blue in the seaweed. The wave flushed the birds and pushed them towards me. This photo was right after the bird landed and stopped and stared right at me.

Glen here is another shot of a Purple Sandpiper from the same shoot. Look at the purple color on the wings. It is more evident on this shot.

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post