Thread: More Lions

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default More Lions

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a wider angle shot with a tele zoom (100-400 II) & the 7D II. The light was absolutely beautiful & rich golden colour at Mara early in the morning.
    I reduced a bit of reds and yellows to tone down the golden light a bit.
    1/5000
    f/6.3
    ISO 1600 (should have dropped the ISO to 800 for this)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - It is beautiful, warm morning light. I agree with you on the techs, you didn't need 1/5000 so could have easily dropped the ISO and maybe stopped down for a bit more dof too. The strip of sky isn't really adding anything for me so I would consider more of a pano crop. If it were mine I would also tame the hls just a little more with a luminosity mask.

Don't forget to give your thoughts on other people's images.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, great light Sanjeev. My favourite for photography. I like the flatness of tone and colour in the foreground and background which help the lions stand out but would be tempted to add a bit more tonal range or contrast to the lions. I'm unsure about the sharpness on this one but always struggle with these small images. It does look a touch softer than your work usually does though. I wonder if a tighter crop would work better on this shot?

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

I am always happy to see lions, and especially in great light. Lovely eye contact with mom. Youngsters are very cute, they seem to be in pretty good shape too.

Colours look very natural to me. Tonality is good but you could push things a bit a more if you like. I also think the sky should go: not only it does not add to the image, but as soon as you take it away it almost feels as if the perspective changes. It is a pity one cub looks away and his face is partially hidden, but the other little one has such a lovely mellow expression on his face it somehow makes up for it:)

This lovely light here made me look for some older frames this evening...Still searching... Will see if I can raise you a lion in golden light And I really appreciate this post, thank you Sanjeev.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea