Thank You Posts

Default Common Seal

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/6.3
    1/2000
    ISO 3200

I am beginning to enjoy photographing the seals now. At the weekend it was a 50/50 whether to go to my hide and try for the Kingfisher, or to the beach for the seals. The seals won . This one had been thrown from a lower rock, by a large wave, and was making his/her way onto a larger rock. This is the typical behaviour as the tide comes in, and lasts for almost two hours.

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She looks very elegant Will, i really like the pose and composition. Perhaps a little more contrast on the seal (suggest try "linear" and take it just a fraction further). Just a tad more saturation provides a little oomph.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will - I'm so glad you are enjoying photographing the seals because that means we get to see more. Great eye contact and pose here. The colors look very natural. If you do give the image a little boost be careful of the hls, especially on the top of the head and along the back. If it were mine I might trim a little off the rhs and above just to present the seal a little less centered. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, I like the tighter framing and single animal here. The lines of the rock strata match nicely the pose of the seal. Nice soulful stare from the seal too. I agree with Jon and Rachel that a little boost to the contrast on the seal would lift this but I'm happy with the muted colour palette of this.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very nice image William, great eye contact, head angle, and pose from the seal. The composition too is good. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that guys. Much appreciated and learned from, and makes me want to take more

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A most pleasing capture dear Will, and some nice techs too

Love the image design and positioning of the subject within the frame. And especially the elegant pose and eye contact. I guess you could perhaps extract a tad more from the seal? I do realise their skin is smooth (and wet) but I would like the subject to stand out a bit more, given the colourful rocks he/she is resting on.

Overall I am happy with this and really enjoyed viewing. It must be so rewarding, spending time with those seals - I sincerely hope to see more from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post