Thread: Sleepy Sanderling.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sleepy Sanderling.

Attached Images Attached Images

Shorebird photography at my favorite haunts was less than stellar this year due to much higher than normal water levels, however on one particular morning I had about a dozen Sanderlings being fun and cooperative for the camera. Here is one of a few that dozed off after a bathing session in the shallow waters of the Ottawa River.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/8, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF. Small rotation, but the remaining slant is natural, usual eye work + added catchlight.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome shot!, sanderlings are so hard to isolate and catch standing still. I love the slant of the water and good editing on the eye.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Dan, the eye is super clear, given the light maybe a little too clear??? The plumage and water looks spot on.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like these kind of shots. I especially like shots where the birds are comfortable with your presence. Sweet pose and fell to this one. I think I would rotate a bit clockwise but I feel like you and I say this all the time

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys.

Yeah, those pesky natural beach slants. I toyed with leveling, but the sanderling itself then didn't look right to my eye. Perhaps a middle-ground somewhere would work best.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Dan. I would leave the crop as is. I think the bird looks 'well balanced' in that position. Lovely detail and I can feel the flow of the water.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, I love the fact that you got one of these little guys resting. It seems like everyone of them I see has fresh batteries and can run forever. I really like this pose, and I agree with Isaac that you can tell this bird looks comfortable with your presence. I can see why you might be tempted to rotate it due to the beach slant, but I like the position of the head the way it is. I would leave it. Last thing - I like the small amount of beach. I think it balances out the image. Thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it too. I might be tempted to move the bird to the right just a little bit.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasz Zawadzki View Post
    I like it too. I might be tempted to move the bird to the right just a little bit.
    Maybe a bit to the left but moving the bird to our right would leave it too centered for me ... Like others here, I love the open eye and the adequate d-o-f. Just for the record books this a worn juvenile molting to first winter plumage. Folks can learn more about aging and identifying all of our North American shorebirds in my Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.