Thread: What a view ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default What a view ....

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ,
    maybe a ´marmite´ shot for some of you , which i could easily understand .For me it was quite awesome to get this one as it was one of those special moments in a photographers life , waiting in the midday heat of the KTP for something happening .
    I got rewarded with a very " tame " Oryx .....as this female came so close that my long glass was too long and the subject went under the focus limit . She was so relaxed the whole time really a treat to be part of that situation , i was waiting under that big camel thorn and she did too to overcome the heat ....somewhere around 40´C .
    Wonder if one or the other like it, too.
    Due to DOF limitations i could have not get all in focus .....even at F 18 ....well i am guessing
    I kept the contrast quite high ..as i like it this way , i can also see a B&W version ....a Quadtone would be nice , maybe Steve can create one as a demo

Canon 1D MK IV
    EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
    Swinging lens support ( lens strap attached to the car door )

F 9 ; Iso 400 ; 1/800 sec ; with todays thinking i would have upped the iso to gain more SS ; man exp

Processed with C1 and PS CC 2018

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to admit my initial reaction was not favourable, it looked different just for the sake of it but on looking again I rather like it. The eyelashes and longhairs round the eye have a certain attraction and I particularly like the reflected tree in the eye. I agree BW is a good option...not so sure about Quadtone?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this sort of image design. Reminds me of when I took a close up of a cow's eye and head. The image looks balanced and the eyes are drawn to the eye Nice one

Will

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Haven't you posted this in the past or something similar? I like the long eyelashes and the reflection in the eye. If it were mine I would darken the lighter areas on the body in the bg. They draw the eye. I think the limited dof works here.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

While not a 'pretty' frame, there is quite a lot I like about this. The abstraction from reality from the unusual composition and tight framing is quite nice. Full focus on the head would have been nicer, I think but understand not possible here (how fast can you change lenses?). The standout for me is the eye and reflection in it. The near monochrome look is great too. Nice to have something different.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Works for me! The reflection in the eye is what really makes the shot - so I think you would lose that if you were to go for B&W.

Nice one!

PS. "Marmite" is very English. You should perhaps go for "sauerkraut"!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- It completely works for me as presented and the DOF is helping to focus on the eye. Nice details and that reflection in the eye is quite a sight. This is very nicely framed as well. Looks slightly dark for my liking .

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I really like this type of different image, and you have pulled this off very well. It only needs the eye in sharp focus, but the detail of the eyelashes and what look like whiskers away from the eye are fabulous.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this as presented, Andreas. Would not want the muzzle to be sharp because it would detract from that stunning eye. Colours are great, so is detail. Just one small thing: I think I prefer the BG to be less yellow

And yes, it was a scorcher of a day...We sat there for such a long time that the fridge battery in my vehicle almost gave in. I do remember passing you a mug of hot coffee through the car window. And lots of laughter. Good times, Boetie

Have a nice evening, and thank you so much for sharing this - it brought back lovely memories.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea