Thread: Breakfast time for Ms Ele

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Breakfast time for Ms Ele

Attached Images Attached Images

An elephant enjoys some fresh leaves / salad for breakfast at ruaha NP.
    5D III
    100-400 II
    1/1000
    f/8
    ISO 400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- A nice behavioural shot. Liked the curled trunk and yet again you have handled the tricky light quite well. 50-50 on the dry branch in the upper RHC . Is the image slightly tilted towards the our left or is it just me ? Nice image though .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot Sanjeev but I think it lacks a little expression. I would suggest lowering the brightness of the sky, then reduce the highlights in the ele and paint a soft light adjustment layer over the foreground, I think this would introduce a little expression. ( I suppose expression = tonality but I didn't wish to appear as though I was copying other people's concepts!)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - This is a tough one due to the comp and somewhat harsh light and heavy shadow. The textures are good but I could do without the branches coming in from the upper left. I think I understand what Jon is getting at, the image needs some more oomph or expression for a better impact.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty nice image, Sanjeev. There's great texture on the skin - one benefit of the harsh light and I think overall you've dealt with that light fairly well with good tone and detail in the shadowed parts of the elephant. I suspect a hint more saturation could lift this significantly.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute little ellie female:)

Love the pose here Sanjeev, nice detail, good choice of DoF too. The trunk hovering over the bush is a focal point for me and my eyes are drawn to that little curl it forms at the tip.

I think you can add more oomph if you like. I tried a simple curve adjustment and it did make a difference. As well as a tad of saturation. If this were mine I would be tempted to crop a bit tighter from the sides and remove the tiny branches in the ULC. All up to you, I just wanted to say I enjoyed this very much and to thank you for sharing. And I am a bit late with comments, my apologies

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea