Thread: Mule deer in Yellowstone

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mule deer in Yellowstone

Attached Images Attached Images

Can't remember if a tripod was used.
    Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 1.4TC III, Auto ISO 1600 1/1600 sec f5.6

Revisiting some old files and putting a little fresh thought (having been provoked ) into processing.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - A nice look at the mulie. Dale is an expert on these and has had a few books of them published if I recall correctly. I like the space in front of the deer but would have shifted the whole frame a little lower with a bit more below for the virtual legs and then some. Sharpness looks good. There's a lot of blue coming through on the deer that I would reduce if it were mine.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, mate instantly I'm struck by her colour ,WOW......you know the deer I know, so you can see why!! Jon, i'm really reticent to comment on colour here I concur with Rachel a smidge more below please. she's so alert those ears are wonderful lovely work Jon. i'll come back to this one

TFS

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's a lot of blue coming through on the deer that I would reduce if it were mine.
    I would err on the WB Rachel.

Jon, there appears also to be some repeat patterns within the lower bottom section, or is it these eyes???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a repost, I was convinced this image was taken early morning but it wasn't, (I probably had a big horn sheep image in the back of my mind), I can now see why Rachel and Steve weren't keen on the colours. I re set Colour Balance in ACR and once in PS I reduced the yellows in the grasses. I also took blue out of the deer but to all intent and purpose it had been eliminated by the new Colour Balance determined at raw.
    A slightly revised crop this time. No cloning or patching just a crop from original.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I feel that it's far better in terms of colour (grasses???) and to keep to almost 'as shot' in terms of the crop, rather than cloning is better. I might however reduce the top to balance thins a bit more???? Not sure if you need to drop the Exposure on the environment, under a third of a stop, but it might be the laptop?

I also took blue out of the deer but to all intent and purpose it had been eliminated by the new Colour Balance determined at raw
    Depends on what you did?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon a nice side profile shot of that species .
    Well the OP has some issues for me .......what happened to the FG ? a funny mix of sharpness and OOF areas in the same focal plane .....who played tricks with you ? Color does look off and the BG looks like being hammered with Neat Image

The RP is way way better ....all issues are gone from my side , well almost the virtual legs are still not there, but nothing you do afterwards i think . I might crop more from the top .

BTW who provoked you to process it like you did ...

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas the first image should in hindsite not have been posted! I can't recall using Neat Image but I agree the BG looks mushy.
    Regarding the second image I did try cropping more off the top but the background became granular. Steve was the provocateur but in all fairness you and Rachel are always giving me ideas and things to think about also..

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Why does the BG becomes granular by cropping ? i meant a bit more, not massively cropping ( no bashing off pixels )
    I bet Steve did not want to provoke you into that direction .......but one never knows . Just kidding

BTW if you keep the psd then you should have all layers intact and you could recall if Neat Image was used or not ....right ? I hope you keep a master file as PSD ?????? With all layers !!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 11-13-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas sit down and hold the arm of your chair..... no I don't save a TIFF or A PSD unless it is a special or complex image - I don't need them for any good reason, I can always recreate an image if I need to. In general my processing is fairly minimal so it is no big deal for me to recreate. I just don't know what I would do with all those duplicated files.
    Have you recovered? You would not be the first to be so surprised at my comment!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok Jon ....up to you how you deal with that , hard drive space does not cost a lot !!!!!
    And you will have a better learning curve ...when you can recall and see what kind of ........ you have produced !!! LOL !!!!
    I can only suggest you should overthink your WF ....but your call

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Beautiful deer and I like the alert pose you captured. Good thinking on DoF, it helps separate him so nicely from the BG. I certainly prefer the RP in terms of colour.

Subject is indeed sharp with good detail, but I shall not forgive you for not allowing enough space for its virtual limbs

Keep them coming please:) I feel terribly guilty for not posting enough images lately (due to time constraints) but I really enjoy viewing and sharing my thoughts as often as I can. Hope to see more from you, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea