Thread: Posturing

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Posturing

Attached Images Attached Images

These two young Polar bears were gently sparing, the one on the left just asserting his presence with the slightly younger bear. No real blows just a lot of open jaws, growling and posturing. Sadly they decided to do this right below the bow of our small ship, so nothing could be done with the shadows, but I think it adds to the scene. You can also see all the foot prints in the pack ice.

Sadly I just have to be patient to get back to these guys again, but nice to get back for what will be a far longer time with these awesome subjects, but there will be some cool trips before then, fingers crossed .

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus) gently sparing on the pack ice
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO800
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 11-12-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing details in the fur and the lighting has been handled beautifully. Had you been able to have taken the image from a lower standpoint it would have been truly remarkable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Had you been able to have taken the image from a lower standpoint it would have been truly remarkable.
    If that was the case Jon I may not have been able to share the encounter. I will 'bear' it in mind next time - if possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve .... i would like to have that lens , could be a bit difficult to HH at times .
    Back to the image ... i think a " marmite " one , and for me not working . Leaving the circumstances aside , there are two main issues for me . The shadow of the boat is not adding for me , just distracting .And the PBīs are looking like they are falling over , due to the shooting angle . Not much you could have done about this fact .
    Would be a different story if you could have been right above those guys , i would have loved that one .
    The techie stuff looks brilliant as ever ....

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Great to see interaction between bears (we didn't have that on my trip) and you handled the mixed lighting well. The boat's shadow is unfortunate and does create an issue for me but there was nothing you could have done. Imagine the shot if the boats shadow wasn't there and instead you had the bears and their complete shadows. We can all dream, right?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve .... i would like to have that lens
    You should Andreas, it's so versatile and great for landscapes, the 2.8 is awesome, but it will be interesting for me to decide 200-400 or 100-400 , but will probably take both, but then what about the 70-200, 24-70f/2.8.... !!!

Can't do much about the shadow, but I felt the long shadows created more interested compare to a lot of other images???

Would be a different story if you could have been right above those guys , i would have loved that one .
    So would I, just have to see what happens if I get the opportunity next time, as you don't really get two young bears together.

The techie stuff looks brilliant as eve
    Have been improved with the MK2 now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

We can all dream, right?
    Indeed Rachel, a bit of 'Lady luck' some thinking and hopefully....

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - I think Andreas was referring to the typo in the lens 70-2000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No typo just a prototype

Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve...for sure my critique was , well moaning on a high level for sure .
    Still think the shadow is a distraction for me , and only it does look different it does not make the shadow better IMHO . Just speaking for myself .
    For sure i would have liked to witness this and might have taken the same images ...and might also think like you think . But as a neutral viewer i stand my thoughts .

Great prototype ... . I have the lens , just replaced the old one with the new

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a moment to capture , these are very special subjects ! I have no issues with the angle,it gives a different perspective but the shadow of the boat is a bit unfortunate. Apart from that the footprints are quite an interesting addition. Details are very good as always.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve. I like it because its different. Fab details as usual. I think the shadows make the image more 'haunting' Love the pose on the bear on our RHS.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this one does stand out because of the unusual angle of shot and perspective 'distortion' that I feel when looking at this. The low angle light is superb here and highlighting the footprints wonderfully. Tone and colour look superb as does the detail on these animals. The shadow of the ship, while not ideal, adds some drama and mystery to the shot. The only thing that bugs me is the diagonal line and snow/ice in the top right which distracts from the main scene for me - but that's a minor point. I, too, could imagine this shot from eye level. Yes, not possible if you wanted to live to tell the story but what a shot it would have been! I remember hearing a talk by a Canon rep at a bird photography event who told us how he used a camera sometimes on a monopod but holding the 'ground' end with the camera dangling below and firing remotely. Lots of hit and miss with that type (and don't let go of the monopod) but I thought that was a clever idea for a tricky situation.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

I enjoyed viewing this image for various reasons. Whether intentional or not, the unusual POV - as well as other factors like those lengthy shadows or the presence of numerous paw prints - made me pay attention. I must admit I am with Glenn here who uses the term "distortion" quite wisely in regard to perspective.

Great techs as usual, well exposed and lovely detail on the two giant beasts, the interaction a great bonus indeed. I sincerely hope you have more such opportunities in the future. I could be wrong, but I am under the impression this is your favourite subject to photograph? You put great effort into those polar bear images and they are stunning, my guess is the vast landscape itself stirs you as well.

Set aside technical stuff I just want to say this frame strikes me not on the basis of aesthetic criteria (so I am not thinking colours, symmetry or proportion) but on the basis of psychological criteria. This, because the image itself embodies a value of "mood" which I think is important to you: " I was there, I saw this and it moved me".

Hope the above makes sense to you. Thank you so much for sharing, I wish you a lovely week-end

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea