Thread: Least Sandpiper ?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Least Sandpiper ?

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at the north side of Ft. De Soto in the area next to the ropes/bird sanctuary. Along that stretch of beach. I am not sure of the identification, the bird was smaller than a Willet and a little larger than a Black-bellied Plover, trusting my memory. Any help on the ID would be appreciated. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm
    1/3200 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1/3 ISO 450, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a winter plumaged Red Knot. Nice eye contact and I love the tropical looking water.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 11-11-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely processed and good angle. Perhaps the blacks are a tad heavy? Given the lighting conditions you had I would definitely have gone for f8. (The tail is slightly soft.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. I love this species. Note that Least Sandpiper would be tiny compared to a black-bellied :) Opting to go to f/8 would have brought up background detail that I would not want. Great job with the head angle and the placement of the breaking wave. Learn more about aging and identifying North American shorebirds in my Shorebirds; Beautiful Beachcombers here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.