Thread: Brown bear cub (Ursus arctos arctos)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown bear cub (Ursus arctos arctos)

Attached Images Attached Images

From a hide, monopod, Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 1.4TCIII Auto ISO 5000 +1/3, 1/1250 sec f5.6
    ACR + PSCC 2018
    ( I did a little patching and cloning to remove a few twigs here and there)

Just messing about again with processing I will be interested to find out what you think about this one. The shot was taken earlier this year in Finland.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- A very nice and handsome looking subject ! I feel the details are quite good in your subject and also the colours look fine to me. Looks slightly noisy in the BKG but importantly i would have liked more space in the FG , a bit tight out there for my liking . All in all a fine image . TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, like Haseeb, I too would like the whole crop moved down, but you may have been limited to the angle from the hide? For me 1/1600 minimum and let Auto do it's job it's a 1DX, you keep the SS quite low, have faith Jon. Good detail in the head but would take the Blue out.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a repost recropped, can't do much more with the base, blues removed. Agree regards Auto ISO etc I seem to recall I used a variety of shutter speeds. I thought noise was pretty good, i.e. doesn't look bad to me.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-11-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

RP definitely looks better Jon, more balanced and the BG looks smoother. Sharpness bang on where it matters. A little more below wouldn't have hurt but with the revised crop, not a deal breaker

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, much better, prefer the crop and the loss of the blue, but is there some masking left behind in the front RH leg as viewed?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon a cute little guy ...a least he / she does look like a younger bear .
    I do like the trotting pose and the look to the side , the fur does look very colorful which i quite like . Nice tonal depth in the OP ...but the image could go brighter from my POV .Lovely details in the fur !!!
    RP is not an improvement for me ( apart from the blue removal and the better crop ) as it appears darker as OP , check the missing detail in the front legs .
    The added canvas is not looking ver good as you have repeating patterns ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed, blue removal better the base is a bit of a pig's ear - sloppy!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I like the walking pose very much and the placement in frame (with the exception of the room below). The rp does address the blues but I agree with Andreas that you have lost some of the detail and it looks a little darker. Sharpness and pov are nice and I like the different shades of brown too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, a really gorgeous animal, well captured in this image. I like this one a great deal due to the soft tones and colours in the background complementing the wonderful detail and tones on the bear, which shows a really nice range. In that area, the OP looked best but I prefer the crop on the repost. Really lovely shot all the same.