Thread: You're boring me Mike - move along...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default You're boring me Mike - move along...

Name:  Clownfish-yawn-BPN.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  381.3 KB

We were at a macro based site and decided to go and look for some time critter to shoot - frogfish and shrimp were the priorities. I found some popcorn and anemone sharp living in the bubble anemone shown here, then the resident clownfish returned home. As he swam in he settled and yawned. Knowing they often yawn again shortly afterwards I dropped back a little together him in shot and waited, and sure enough he gave me another chance for the shot. They're constantly moving around and unfortunately although this is about 90% of the original from, there is nothing more below to work with.

Canon 1dx in a Nauticam housing
    Canon 100mm L macro
    twin Sea and Sea YS-D1 strobes
    ISO 400
    1/200th f29

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike -- what a lovely colourful image this is. Nice closeup as well , I find this genre of photography very interesting and wish to learn it someday. You have managed to bring out details in your subject but it body which is under shadow looks slightly noisy. Also there is a glint in its eye . I would have preferred some more space at the bottom of the frame but always easy to say as I have absolutely no idea how you guys shoot down there .

A very lovely looking image, TFS !

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike, this is a wonderful shot with awesome colours! Love the fish and the habitat.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike keep going with your UW images ... i love them all !!!!!
    These guys are so brave even attacking a diver .....when coming too close to their anemone .
    Love the image because of the tight design and the stunning colors , what a difference the dolphin shot !!!! Hey man that is great macro work !!
    A shame about the tight bottom , wish for a little more space . I might sharpen the clown fish a bit more .

Very lovely work , Mike

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike,

The colours are so stunning, so vibrant, just that smidge really below away from an image that one wouldn't change. Mike the colours are so eye catching this lept off the thumbnails at me.
    I absolutley adore this mate the fact you have a known and caught behaviour in there adds even more. that one open erm tentacle up top right I love the lacing of the pectoral is gorgeous
    Mike your UW images are a complete joy i've just spent ages staring at dophins elsewhere,please keep sharing and exploring your skillset within this area of photography !!!!!!

Stunning !!!!!

stu

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - I love the neon like colors here. The yawn takes it up even a notch further. Yes, to more below but I am always impressed that you are able to frame images in any way in strong currents. Whenever I have tried underwater shots for fun, I often wind up with images of half a fish or even with no subject because of the current. It's much more difficult to frame underwater than on land (boy is that an understatement). Keep them coming. Like everyone else, I really enjoy your uw images and the variety they bring to the forum.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Mike keep going with your UW images ... i love them all !!!!!
    These guys are so brave even attacking a diver .....when coming too close to their anemone .
    Love the image because of the tight design and the stunning colors , what a difference the dolphin shot !!!! Hey man that is great macro work !!
    A shame about the tight bottom , wish for a little more space . I might sharpen the clown fish a bit more .

Very lovely work , Mike

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas, they are great little characters - time is always against you underwater but I find it hard to ignore these guys, especially given the way they'll interact with you, unlike most fish. Hopefully more to post soon

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Mike - I love the neon like colors here. The yawn takes it up even a notch further. Yes, to more below but I am always impressed that you are able to frame images in any way in strong currents. Whenever I have tried underwater shots for fun, I often wind up with images of half a fish or even with no subject because of the current. It's much more difficult to frame underwater than on land (boy is that an understatement). Keep them coming. Like everyone else, I really enjoy your uw images and the variety they bring to the forum.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks Rachel,

I have to say, taking shots at the surface is 10 times as hard as one you are a few metres below, so don't think its just you! The surge with the waves really plays havoc, and whilst there may be some surge or current below, its generally easier to manage. U/W is one of those disciplines where improving diving skills will improve your shots far quicker than improving photography skills.

Be careful what you wish for - I have more to come!

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Coming in late: this is not boring for me at all - a really bright enlivening frame, Mike. Happy to see more. Amazing aperture used but it's given good depth of field here. I don't have anything to add to the other critiques although I can't see any sharpness problems. You have the full res original frame so will be in a better position to comment Mike. Keep them coming.

13. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post