Thread: Steve's Buddy

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Steve's Buddy

Attached Images Attached Images

There are some resident warthogs at Kings Camp in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. On our trip in 2014 Steve had spent some time shooting them between game drives one day. They were a bit more cooperative then, hanging out on the grass near the pool. On my 2016 trip, this guy was the only one regularly around and he often hung out on the front lawn where it was difficult to avoid the driveway and sometimes vehicles in the image. Also there were thorns on the ground (ouch). The light was a little strong since this was taken at the end of a morning game drive.

Canon 5D3
    70-200 II @ 200mm
    1/1500
    f8
    ISO 400
    HH while lying on the ground, slight crop for comp, levels, curves and selectively sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light may have been harsh, but the plus side of this is the amount of detail that can be pulled out of the hide. Not sure in this could use a little CCW rotation.

Mike

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike, I've looked at the rotation a few times and also can't decide. The tree on the right edge is straight and the warthog was digging up a storm with the deepest part near the snout so there's a slight slant from the body down to the snout. I could rotate for the front legs but then the bg looked off. Happy for other views.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- That low POV makes it look huge ! I always appreciate how well you handle those harsh lighting conditions, always manage to bring out good details in your subject and nothing hardly ever clips in HL. Would have loved some more separation from the BKG but you have explained well enough the hurdles in doing so . Nicely done.

TFS !

6. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I was very fond of these guys until they went into the stew .

I like the POV and good to see you getting the SS high. The location and colour looks very reflective but to me (albeit on the laptop) the Blacks & Contrast appear a bit hefty (????), but NOT choked. I can live the trees that's natural, it's the grey post going through the back at the top would have to go for me.

Not sure if this helps as it subtle to a point and the hairs near and around the forehead are a tad finer with some tweaks IMHO.

TFS
    Steve

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, excellent sharpness & detail here with the classic kneeling pose to feed. Strong light but you managed well.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel ...a lovely character .
    I do like the low POV and the stunning detail in the hairs and wrinkles , colors do look spot on to me . Contrast might be a tad do high resulting in some really dark darks .
    Bummer about the trees ...but they are there so no issue for me.
    Even if the ground was thorny .....going lower would have been even better , i think .
    Nice one ....
    TFS Andreas

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, Steve, Sanjeev and Andreas.

Steve - did you mean to post a rp? If so, it's not there.

Andreas - I couldn't get any lower. I was lying on the ground, thorns and all (hence, the ouch).

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel you are a brave lady!! and thorns, thought Steve was a gent and would have had a word with his friend hey ho,

Serious head on Haseeb is right Rachel under these harsh light conditions you really do grab so much detail this is stunning for me in that regard!!! The only thing really is that bit of grey Steve picked up on,but apart from that I love it. It's a wonderful capture Rachel.

Mate my lady just spied this, she's gone off with the biggest smile,nuff said. it's the pose you have caught lunch off your knees !!

another wow on the detail

take care

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu. Btw I forgot to mention that grey thing is also a tree trunk and not a man-made post.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bet you could ....face on the lawn .....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The camera lens wouldn't be though in any event and if it was you get too much oof mush at the bottom of the frame.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

So darn cool when they go on their knees and munch like that... We have a number of warties in our local game reserves that are quite tame, unfortunately ( or fortunately? ) one became breakfast for a recently introduced lioness this Sunday

Love the detail here and you handled the harsh light so well. Really nice and sharp and colours are great. Had you gone lower on the ground for better POV you might have collected some very unwanted ticks - glad you didn't... I am happy with the POV here.

In terms of composition, if this were mine I would try crop from the top, just a bit. You might end up with too much of a pano but that one tree trunk does look like a sign post:)

Hope one day you come visit my side of the woods, it would be great fun and I will try to be a good guide for you.
    Have a lovely evening Rachel, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea