Thread: I Wonder

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I Wonder

Attached Images Attached Images

We live in a world dominated by beauty and for us photographers the desire to possess and portray beautiful subjects is always there. But from time to time the opposite happens to draw our attention...Such was the case with this Chachma Baboon, agreeable enough to spend some time in front of my lens and allow me to capture a rather faithful portrayal of his facial expression.
    Image taken in the Kruger National park in 2015. I wonder whether you'll like this, it is almost grotesque but I find the gaping mouth and those eyes quite fascinating

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 500
    F6.3
    1/1250s

Wishing you all a happy end of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, lovely to see one of your images posted after an absence in that department. I hope you are able to do so more as your work is excellent IMHO.

As for this one, I like this a great deal. I don't find the pose grotesque at all. It's a fascinating study of character and really great to see the animal unperturbed by your presence and going about its business. Indeed, there is a lot of emphasis on eye contact and interaction with the photographer to make a 'great' photo but for me, an animal behaving natural is one step ahead of an animal that is looking, perhaps warily, at the photographer. Perhaps I'm doomed as a result of this attitude. Tone, detail and colour on this are all beautifully rendered and background is lovely and a nice complement to the baboon's colours. I like your composition a lot here too. I'd be very happy if this was my frame. Look forward to seeing some from your recent lion encounters.

3. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, this is a fine image with lots of detail, good light and clean BG. The expression is unique and overall shows emotion. Well done. TFS.

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- I love your baboon images , i think you are at your best with the camera in front of them. The expression is amazing and so are the details and sharpness in it also that drop of saliva on its chin is adding to the image. Very nicely processed as well and also liked that copyright symbol of yours.

TFS !

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting image I like the exposure and colours/details. I get the slight impression that the eyes are not quite so well focused as the nose.

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I don't think this is grotesque at all. The light is nice and it's an interesting expression. I do think you needed a bit more dof. If it were mine I would also tame the bg a little more. Good to see an underrepresented species.

TFS,
    Rachel

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

To me, Baboons are all about the expressions, and this one is great here! No feelings of the grotesque from me, more an inner smile!

I agree the eyes could do with a little more sharpening and I would try and burn in the brightest parts of the BG as well.

Lighting and framing both spot on for me

Mike

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, nice to see a different species posted.

Sadly for me it's no doing anything for me, I find the expression a bit off and the rolling eyes are not that 'attractive'. With the angle, I agree a bit more DoF and I would make some adjustments around the mouth on the exposure to get some detail back, but it might be viewing on the laptop that throws things.

TFS
    Steve

15. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... i like it , as it is off standard .I do agree it does look awkward what the baboon is doing there ....
    I do like the way you processed this one , with very nice colors and some fine detail . The DOF and BG ....well cannot get better .
    TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I really enjoy observing and photographing primates, as their interactions and behaviors can look so like ours, at least in our interpretations. This is an interesting expression, certainly one I would keep myself.
    Greg

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear friends,

Did not think everyone would like this so not surprised at all with some of your comments. In fact I expected you to describe this image as disturbing. BTW it has been lying in my folders for about two years and I decided the other night to share in order to have your opinions. Indeed a bizarre look from this Baboon and maybe not a pretty sight but those ambiguous features and expression do reveal something about this character. While you might agree the species itself is not ugly, what we are dealing with here is situational ugliness, if I may call it that. It did present an irresistible attraction for me at the time and I could not resist the impulse to press the shutter.

Steve I agree with you, a bit more DoF would not hurt

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea