Thread: Sunrise by poolside

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunrise by poolside

Attached Images Attached Images

An image of a flock of flamingoes along with a few godwits in attendance against a rising march sun, with a lone ibis ( glossy) providing a overhead flypast
    Canon 5D4, EF 500mm f/4 @ f/5.6,1/1250/ISO500, evaluative metering, manual exposure, WB manual, level corrections, corrected horizon & hence cropped around 20 % from original more on left than right,& healed a small birdie ( shadow) near the bill of the Ibis in the air. Image preconceptualized & executed as per plan in field.
    All comments & critique welcome. Tones have not been touched too much, they are nearly as shot.
    Thanks & regards
    Abhijit
    P.S. In case i have made an error in sizing/ the format/ quality levels of the file/ image colour profile tagging please forgive me. i am not used to PS & hence make errors, but i am trying to learn fast.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Abhijit, very nice shot, the only thing I would do is remove the numerous spots from dust on your sensor.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, this is quite a frame Abhijit. Dramatic scene and great light with a wonderful atmosphere to the whole shot. I like the way you've rendered and presented it here too with lovely composition and great subject matter. I wouldn't do anything to change this. Tim mentioned some spots but I can't see them, sorry. There are oof birds in flight in the background though - is that the issue?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent mood you got here. I love the low angle and layers to the image. Good composition. I see the spots Tim mentions and I was going to mention them before I saw his comment. If you are OK with this type of image manipulation I would also eliminate the two lower oof birds. Apart from that, this is quite a sensational scene you photographed, nicely done.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for stopping by. I accept your point humbly. But to make it clear, those spots are birds far off, the camera was bought, unpacked, on the evening of the day before i shot this. It is not sensor/Lens dust. Have a few with the flamingoes out of focus & the distant ones in focus. But me being me i didn't remove them. I did remove one single bird as i ve mentioned since it was beside the beak of the Ibis. rest i left untouched. Yet thanks for looking at the image critically & not just glancing over.
    Regards & love from India
    Abhijit

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    Those are birds far off indeed, & i didn't remove them since they added some depth, were not causing any nuisance & by & large,i love to keep images as they are, since in Nature we can't control things, so why in out photo? Wont we be losing essence of shooting in the wild? Its not a studio out there, right?!!
    Please don't take me amiss. I am not any big guy, not trying at all to be rude, just putting my perspective up. Thanks again for your words
    Regards
    Abhijit

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Daniel,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I didn't remove those OOF birds in foreground since they are adding a sense of scale to my eye. Thanks again for your comments.
    I ve clarified about the spots in reply to Tim's post. As for the angle, i shot this standing on a bamboo raft with a monopod in place.
    Regards
    Abhijit

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Abhijit, a lovely shot I like the image exactly as presented. Your techs are fine (image size and embedded colour space). The more I look the more I enjoyed the image, the passing ibis is really good as are the subtly highlighted feathers of the centrally positioned flamingos.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abhijit Deshpande View Post
    Hello Daniel,
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I didn't remove those OOF birds in foreground since they are adding a sense of scale to my eye. Thanks again for your comments.
    I ve clarified about the spots in reply to Tim's post. As for the angle, i shot this standing on a bamboo raft with a monopod in place.
    Regards Abhijit
    Consider removing them :

#1: stuff on the frame edge is almost always distracting (as those two birds here are but only very).

#2: o-o-f stuff in front of the stuff in sharp focus is almost always an image killer (as it is here but only very).

There are five what looks like very large, very prominent dusts spots starting below the ibis and then to our left.

You might consider moving the ibis to the left for better compositional balance.

Where? What species of godwits?

I do like the concept and the overall mood.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,
    I understand your point here. But as for the dust spots- well i clarified earlier, this was shot on a brand new camera & other images shot immediately before & after have none of them. They are birds far off. Maybe i didn't want to remove them. But i do get your point. will recompose this again. Thanks for your kind advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a wonderful image. I would be in the camp of removing the OOF birds. It would be one thing if they were vaguely shaped like birds, but they're just round blobs that look more like sensor dust spots.
    Jack

12. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jack
    Thanks for your inputs. Much appreciated

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Awesome shot

I love this shot, very inspiring.

Thanks, Ben

Blog: Digital Photography & Post Processing Blog

15. Thanks Abhijit Deshpande thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Ben!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Abhijit Deshpande View Post
    Hi Arthur,
    I understand your point here. But as for the dust spots- well i clarified earlier, this was shot on a brand new camera & other images shot immediately before & after have none of them. They are birds far off. Maybe i didn't want to remove them. But i do get your point. will recompose this again. Thanks for your kind advice.
    AD, I see the mention of distant birds. What is strange is that the five, actually six, round circles are all identically sized. As far as removing them that is 100% your choice. For me they are distracting and most folks will think that they are really big dust spots :)

YAW.

with love, artie

ps: you missed my question: what species of godwit?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.