Thread: A Tender Moment !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Tender Moment !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ! There have been some fantastic images for this months theme, I was also waiting to post as soon as possible. Here is my contribution for this months theme . An image from Amboseli, the same mother calf pair which i have previously posted. An unconventional sort of framing and would like to know the opinion from all of you whether it works or not. Wanted to show more of the moment where the calf was suckling and at the same time also wanted to keep the presence of mother in the frame .

DPP 4.5, CS6, BW conversion, clarity, highlights , shadows, curves , levels, sharpening , stretched the canvas at the bottom of the frame ( slightly ) , and healed out an OOF rock in front of mom's right front feet.

Canon 5D MK III, Canon 500mm f4 IS II .

1/2000 sec; f/8; ISO 1600.

All your Comments and suggestions are highly appreciated .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful moment captured Haseeb and beautifully rendered tones in this conversion. I love the mud-caked legs. Looks like your original capture was a bit tight down the bottom. A pity as that line along the bottom is a bit distracting. Only significant issue for me is the composition with the mother cut off just above the eye. It feels odd to me and I can't help thinking this would be better with more above - but I don't know if you had the frame to do this? The other option is going tighter but I don't think it's going to help in this case. Pretty nice all the same and that misformed tusk add (I remember it from last time).

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, An excellent interaction captured here. You indicate the framing is unconventional, I'd say awkward with the proximity to the mother's eye. If you have nothing more to expand at the top I think a tighter crop would be better.
    Greg

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb,
    Wonderful image here,
    The crop so close to the eye is a bit disheartening. Honestly speaking the stretched canvas is a bit obvious i d say. Maybe you can have a look at it again. The tones are wonderful & barring factors beyond ur control the conceptualisation & execution is spot on! TFS
    Regards
    Abhijit

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm going to be bit contrary here and say that I actually like the composition a lot and the position of the mother's eye doesn't bother me at all. The subject is the suckling calf, so I don't need to see all the mother. A more prominent eye would distract me to her face.

I really like the conversion and this image really works in B&W very nicely.

The only negative from me is at the feet/bottom of the image. The blurring of the mother's right foot doesn't look good and there doesn't appear to be any free ground under the lifted left foot - creating the illusion that her legs are crossed. I'm sure you can re-visit that and make some improvements - perhaps you need to strip in some foreground from an alternative image taken at the same time.

Thanks for sharing, Gerald

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, I like this very much, but I would revisit the RAW and address the main points covered in the above feedbacks. Yes, the crop is too close to the eye and the OOF strip at the foot is not ideal. I'm on the laptop so could be wrong, but the LH side appeared it needs a bit more exposure balance. I also feel it may need a bit more Contrast and some Curves adjustments to tweak the darks & shadows, I might even look at adding a toned colour too???

Love the calf, priceless pose and the cropping of Mum, bar the top. Techs look good, but think what the image would haven like with the 1DX .

I think you would benefit with the new upgrade to PS.

TFS
    Steve

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will post the frame where there is no canvas added for comparison purpose. The framing is definitely not ideal and hence appreciate your thoughts but still would like to try something similar whenever opportunity arises.

@ Steve -- I received your email with the RP and very well got your point , those slight tweaks have improved it significantly. Would love to try the 1DX in Africa !

Thank you once again , I really appreciate your thoughts and it always helps me.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - It's often tough to get a good view of a calf while it nurses because of mom. You did that very well here. The conversion works though Steve has made good points for improving it. I agree with the others about the crop/comp both above and below.

TFS,
    Rachel

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Supern timing on this one, the pose of the calf is brilliant. I like the tones on the frame, but would agree with the others that a little more room above the eye would help.

Mike

16. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel and Mike , much appreciated !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb besides the already mentioned short comings of this frame ..in which i do agree , the main subject is priceless good a real burner !!!!!!!! Fantastic timing !!
    Conversion does look ok to me , but could be for sure improved .
    Shame that you had no wider view , in this case .

Still a great image , might think about areal tight crop

TFS Andreas

19. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas , your comments are always awaited !