Thread: Sharp in the Wind at 1/30 Second!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sharp in the Wind at 1/30 Second!

Attached Images Attached Images

Snowy Egret on eroding berm in storm

This image was created at Fort DeSoto on the very stormy morning of October 29, 2017 with the Induro GIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens and my favorite Willet blur photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops as framed: 1/30 sec. at f/4.0 in Manual mode. Cloudy WB in dark, stormy, completely overcast conditions with 40mph winds. LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: -2. One AF point above the center AF point/AI Servo/Expand/Rear Button AF was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point fell on the tip of the bill.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are appreciated.

Learn more about that crazy morning and see the before and after animated GIF in the blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty sweet -- the image optimization is very impressive and makes a huge difference, particularly in making the blacks of the bill and legs pop. I like the pose of the bird and the slightly sloped sand that melts away. Details look good especially at 1/30 . TFS

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can feel the wind, because of the pose on the bird. Nice.. Lovely whites and good POV. At 1/30, it sure shows something different. Very nice indeed.

Will

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He looks like he is about to blow away with the wind. I love the blog post. There is a lot to learn from the before and after gif you posted. I'm amazed you were able to get an auto focus point on the tip of the bill in those winds! The image is beautiful and it just goes to show that good images can come from what seem like bad weather conditions. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Heustis View Post
    He looks like he is about to blow away with the wind. I love the blog post. There is a lot to learn from the before and after gif you posted. I'm amazed you were able to get an auto focus point on the tip of the bill in those winds! The image is beautiful and it just goes to show that good images can come from what seem like bad weather conditions. Thanks for sharing.
    Hey Noel, You are welcome. Don't forget, with AF Expand you get the four assist points; the upper one surely helped here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the direct stare and the contrast of the blacks against all the white.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can hear the bird thinking 'What the **** am I doing here?' The high key look of the bird and background starkly contrasted by the black eyes, bill and legs (forming an arc) make this quite striking. I like the sharp band of sand on which its standing too being the only real fine detail in this. Pretty nice and pleasantly different but I reckon this would work at faster shutter speed as well as I think the waves will still be a soft blur but you'll keep more keepers where the bird isn't blurred to the point of deleting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    I can hear the bird thinking 'What the **** am I doing here?' The high key look of the bird and background starkly contrasted by the black eyes, bill and legs (forming an arc) make this quite striking. I like the sharp band of sand on which its standing too being the only real fine detail in this. Pretty nice and pleasantly different but I reckon this would work at faster shutter speed as well as I think the waves will still be a soft blur but you'll keep more keepers where the bird isn't blurred to the point of deleting.
    I did not want to go to ISO 1600. And, I am always a fan of what works. I did not really expect such a sharp image at 1/30 sec. but most of the ones I took were sharp ... Go figure.

with love, artie