Thread: Sparrow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sparrow and the Moon

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken at Monument Valley, Arizona at sunrise.

The idea was to design the image with the bird small in the frame and to include the distant moon. I took multiple shots but the moon was not completely clear in the back ground so I took on more shot of the moon and blended both the images in photoshop.

Nikon D500, 70-200 f/4 +1.4x TCIII
    ISO 1000, f/5.6, 1/6400 sec

I wish I had a more natural perch ( other than man made ).

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
    Krishna
    Last edited by Krishna Prasad kotti; 11-08-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna. I can see where you are coming from here. I too would have liked to see a more natural perch. But, whats more natural for a 'House' Sparrow, ... Yes, to see a bird perched on a natural tree, with the nice colours in the sky, and a moon showing would be nice. Love the colours, but too much manmade stuff going on here for me I'm afraid.

Will

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well conceived and executed. I'd love to see a version cropped from the right to close to 2 X 3 ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the comments and feedback.

Below is the image cropped 2x3 to ratio

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Are there any general rules on cropping ?

what will be the best aspect ratio for cropping images, I tend to avoid square crops and always don't want to crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A novel and interesting image Krishna. Will is right: this is a house sparrow so a man-made perch fits the bill. The only issue for me is the perch and surrounding bits and pieces take over the image for me but the moon is a nice touch. I do like that you are experimenting and that's a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post

what will be the best aspect ratio for cropping images, I tend to avoid square crops and always don't want to crop.
    Krishna, for me the rule is that there are no rules. But there are guidelines. You will need to go with what looks 'right' and unfortunately, that will be different for different people. As for guidelines, you will probably know about most of these already. The 'rule of thirds' is one where placing key visual elements one third the way from the side of an image is more visually harmonious. Another that you have no doubt seen in critiques is to give the bird some room to (a) look into based on gaze direction (b) move into based on body position and direction of movement (c) show 'virtual' body parts, meaning those hidden by obstructions but that our eye would normally scan for. Still personal preference in the end. As for crop ratios, I crop based on what I want in or our and where I want the visual elements to appear. I rarely use fixed crop ratios. Most people don't like square crops but sometimes they work. Hope that isn't simply repeating things you already know.

10. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post

As above there are no 'rules." I suggested 2X3 for this one as it improved the compositional balance by miles with the bird and the moon now diagonally opposite.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post