Thread: Monument Valley in Moon Light

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monument Valley in Moon Light

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was taken at Monument Valley, Navajo County, Arizona last weekend.

Accidentally it was a full moon day and I was staying very close to the location in a campsite. After watching the moon rise from the campsite, I picked up my camera and drove to the Valley and made this image.

I choose Long exposure to show a little bit of star trail.

Nikon D500, 24-120 f/4
    ISO 100, f/8, 80 sec
    Matrix Metering, Manual Mode.

Uncropped Image, very little changes and little bit of noise reduction.
    I corrected of lens flare due to the moon light.

Unfortunately, the final jpeg shows a lot of color issues at the top left. Image looks good in Lightroom and photoshop not sure what is the issue.

Let me know your thoughts and comments

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna

This image is not really working for me... The moon is too bright for detail and the FG is too dark.. You got the star trails which you were after tho so well done there but they occupy so little of the image they become a little lost in the composition. I would try taking 2 or 3 images of these elements (fg, moon star trails) using the appropriate shutter speed and exposures for each element and and then blend them together.. Trying to do all that in a single exposure is very difficult and probably not possible using only natural light...

DON

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Railton View Post
    Hi Krishna

This image is not really working for me... The moon is too bright for detail and the FG is too dark.. You got the star trails which you were after tho so well done there but they occupy so little of the image they become a little lost in the composition. I would try taking 2 or 3 images of these elements (fg, moon star trails) using the appropriate shutter speed and exposures for each element and and then blend them together.. Trying to do all that in a single exposure is very difficult and probably not possible using only natural light...

DON
    Thanks don for the feedback

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna...Don's critique echoes my thoughts as well...had it been a moonless night I think the image would work much better.