ISO Speed 2000
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
    Focal Length 390.0mm

ACR & PSCC 2018

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, good specimen with a great rack to boot!!!

I like the POV, but would have liked the tree line more behind rather than the sky, but the mud caked legs are a nice touch. I wonder if it could go a tad warmer, as the grass looks a bit too green almost astroturf ?? Techs look spot on, but I feel the IQ would have been better with the 500, but nothing wrong as presented. I also wonder if it needs a very slight rotation, (by eye)? Just check the slight masking on the LH antler and the blob to the left above the tree line.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool deer really like this frame. Good composition and light. Love those antlers.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I like the walking pose and the nice rack on this stag. Good detail and the sharpening looks good too. Before reading any of the comments, I also thought that I wish the tree line didn't intersect the antlers. Looking at it I don't think you could have got the entire head and antlers against the trees from where you were shooting but a few frames before you might have the antlers completely against the sky with the tree line at the top of the head. (I know this is really picky). I too think it needs a little rotation and adjustment to the greens. I'm guessing you started out with these much further away, hence , the tc. I probably would have removed the tc but there might not have been time. I;ve rarely tried the tc with that lens. Do you still hh when doing so?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the POV. The greens in the BG and FG show the subject real good. I like the colours throughout the image.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, lovely to see the whole animal in this frame and a fine specimen too - although I don't think that detracted from your previous shots as they were nicely composed. As noted by some others, the colour of the grass does look a little unreal and may be worth playing with. Overall, the image does look just a touch dark to me but probably safer to ignore as no one else has said anything. The stag looks wonderful with great detail, tones and colour. My only wish on this one is greater separation of tone between the head of the stag and the background, particularly the shadowed side of the head that almost merges with the background. Perhaps some selective lighting adjustments could deal with this. I can see why a slight rotation suggested but I'd just assumed the ground wasn't level so it didn't bother me. Thanks for sharing.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, I appreciative your comments. I was very aware of the clunky composition - I did reposition myself a few times but it proved impossible to get the ideal composition.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon indeed a very fine looking rack .
    I do like the trotting pose and the low POV you used for this image,makes him look even more majestic IMO.
    I do agree that the BG could have been better , but so what ? I would be happy to get a chance like this.
    I am with Glenn on the Exp and with others on the color , all can be changed if you wish .

TFS Andreas