Thread: Semipalmated Plover late afternoon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Semipalmated Plover late afternoon

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of a Semipalmated Plover was taken in late afternoon light at Ft. Desoto.

In post processing (PScc):

1) Added a small bit of canvas to the right using content aware fill

2) I used the patch tool to clean up a bit of the water below the rump to the right

3) I used the clone stamp to remove a second catch light in the iris and cleaned a few distracting highlights on the bill

Canon 7Dii and 100-400mm ii at 371mm

Manual Mode
    ISO 200
    ƒ5.6
    1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Noel. Love the POV and the overall feel of the image. I like the feather detail and colours throughout. I would remove the 2 white spots on the foot. Going f/6.3 or even 7.1, may have gotten the legs in better focus, especially the raised one. Well done.

Will

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Noel,
    Nice image. Nice detail on the feather. Love the sense of movement accorded by the water ripple created by the foot.
    Abhijit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice low POV and sense of movement. I agree that upping the DOF could have helped as you had the ISO and can for sure can higher than 200.Catchlight in the eye is very nice. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for taking the time to take a look and for the thoughtful input. I'll start using a higher aperture for DOF and use higher ISO's in this situation as well. I should have seen and removed those white spots before posting in the first place. Here is my attempt at removing those white spots. It didn't quite look like the original...I need to learn to keep an audit trail of edits...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Noel, Ditto all the positives above. I remember that bird! With all due respect, do not listen to the "more d-o-f" folks :) Shutter speed and a low ISO are way more important. You needed to add more canvas right as the image as presented is back-heavy.

Did you make your changes on the master file or the JPEG?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.