Thread: Bison in Yellowstone

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bison in Yellowstone

Attached Images Attached Images

HH, Canon IDX Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 263 mm, Auto ISO 400 +1/3 1/800 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC 2018

I had a re think about processing and presentation of the image so I am curious to find out what you think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon a very nice specimen of the Bisons , they do look and are way more massive than the European relatives .Quite a good looking boy ...this one.
    Wonder why you changed your WF ?
    I do not know what you have changed ? But not for the better , to be honest !!!
    The BG does look odd and unnatural to me . Bison in this case too dark and some fancy coloration going on .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, this works very well for me. I love the rich, dark tones on the animal but with nice fur detail preserved. This is set off nicely with strong contrast with the softer, lighter tones and colours of the background and foreground, especially that grey/blue/green foliage and the yellow/green plants too. Composition works for me too. The only thing I'd hope for was an unobstructed view of the snout but very minor point. Andreas has commented on an 'odd' look to this. Without knowing the species or the environment, I can only comment on how 'believable' and natural it looks to me. On that, the only thing that does look slightly odd is the blue tint to some parts of the very top of the frame but suspect that is simply what that foreground vegetation looks like when distant and out of focus. Still, this is one I'd be very happy with if it was mine.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - A nice look at the big bison. I think what makes it look a little different is that the light is very even and seems a bit brighter but the image seems a little dark despite there not being much shadow. I would lift the image and particularly the midtones if it were mine. I like the typical Yellowstone brush and the bit of frost.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool bison love the composition and the framing .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Rachel your assessment of the circumstance is spot on.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon the silvery veggies really make your bison pop. A
    As with glenn the image looks right to me ,but no knowledge of this environment to draw upon re colour. Jon are you looking slightly down of the fella? It looks like the veggies can get quite high so maybe this is forced upon you??

The sheer bulk size and strength of a male american bison really come out for me in this frame mate I really like it

stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, lovely angled walking pose, and I really like the surrounding foliage. Yes, a touch more 'exposure' on the big guy, and this will really pop.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I think you'll find it's a 5DMKII rather than your trusty 1DX .

My initial thought was that the 'scrub bush' just looks too contrasty, high on the HL's and so you have lost the depth & detail within the vegetation. Having seen the RAW you have pushed things a bit too much and dropping the HL & whites straight away brings the original capture back as the Histogram shows it was well exposed (ETTR). I also think from our conversation you aren't doing as much as you can to the RAW as you have a lot of cool adjustment options at your disposal prior to exporting to PS. I would also look to getting more 'contrast' in the midtones, blacks and shadows to create more depth & tone adding form and shape to the Bison, you know where i'm suggesting you go, i.e. darker rather than lighter. Techs look OK but as you know i would have gone to perhaps 1/1600 rather than 1/800. A few frames further would have been better, as the nose would have been clear of the vegetation.

I'm not sure why you chose to loose the hint of sky, I personally like it, maybe take another look at your crop. I know you wanted separation and a contrast between habitat & subject, however if you have time I would seriously revise the file, as you can achieve everything you wanted, but the image will look better.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon could you please fire me the raw ....just for fun ?