Thread: White-necked Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-necked Heron

Name:  IMG_2094 BPN.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  383.6 KB
    While this species mostly works freshwater bodies, it does sometimes visit coastal mudflats. This one photographed at a dam a few minutes walk from home. The bird was feeding on freshwater crustaceans (yabbies) and was doing very well. It's a juvenile as shown by the spotty neck. So I hope this qualifies as a shorebird as I'm not clear if it was for purely saltwater species? This is an uncropped frame.

Thank you for looking and any comments you may wish to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/2500 sec, f7.1, ISO 640. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 3, crop, lighting adjustments, default NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR applied to bird and stronger to background. Sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur: usually 0.3 to 0.4 pixels at 50-60%) after final size reduction.

2. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great stalking pose, nicely exposed; and I love the graded background. In my own personal taxonomy I distinguish between shorebirds and wading birds, but this is a lovely image no matter what category you put it in.

4. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the way the colour transitions here from foreground water to BG sky(?) with the shadowy hints of structure adding depth beyond the bird. I've never seen this breed of heron before so thanks for the introduction Glenn. Exposure and focus look right on. My only picky might be to move the bird a tad to the right in the frame.

6. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Bill and Bob. The background is oof water which is reflecting the earth bank of the dam with foliage above it (hence the green reflections lower in the frame). No frame left to move the bird but I could add canvas as I'd need more on the left to balance this.

Perhaps a moderator can remove the 'Theme' as I take your point Bill: should not be classified as a shorebird. I'm not an expert birder so please forgive me on that one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn, Nice looking bird wish we had them here, very clean image, nice details.

-Tim

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the intense concentration, and I can sense the slow-motion in the stride, Glenn. Beautiful bird and great tones throughout.

Geoffrey

https://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Glenn. Never seen this bird before, so thanks for sharing. The bird looks real good with a lovely HA. Love the BG which shows the bird nicely. Great colours throughout.

Will