Thread: Theme: great blue heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: great blue heron

Name:  BH lost in forest.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  158.6 KB
    Fully plumed great blue heron flighting out of the rookery to the Superport Bay flats in S. Delta, B.C. last March. 5DIII,Sigma 150-600mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro, ISO 1000, f/6.3, 1/1250, tripod

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice light and perspective here. I like the idea but wish the bird was on the other side of the frame. That would give it space to fly into. For me, the only time placement like this works on a small in the frame image is like on Joe's Stilt shot that won the monthly theme. The space was used to show the ripples in the water where the bird had walked. When it is just empty space I don't think it has the same impact.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input Isaac. I knew I was taking a bit of a chance with this one for the reason you state , but from when I first examined this shot my predominant sense was that the position of the bird relative to the space spoke to a sense of what it was leaving behind ( or escaping from, i.e.. the immensity and tangle of the forest ) rather than where it was going, and that the darkness in the upper L. corner gives some feel of space to head into.