Thread: Hunting Snowy Egret.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hunting Snowy Egret.

Attached Images Attached Images

I joined this forum quite some time ago. I certainly won't claim any expertise on the "art" of bird photography. Colder weather is here and I have a little more time on my hands. I'm not sure if I can give much advice other than saying nice image on the ones I like. I took this image last June while on vacation at Daytona Beach. This is essentially full frame, only a minor crop to level the horizon. Getting any lower angle was not an option. It was early morning and I was out in the surf as far as I could go with my tripod legs collapsed. I didn't remember the backdrop being this blue, but I set the white balance by using the part of the bird that yielded the "warmest" color temperature. I decided to post this first because I do like the almost graphic nature of the image. I cant't say that I particularly like the OOF circular reflections in the background but there are more there than I would want to take the time to remove. Criticisms welcome.
    Jack

D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII

F8 1/1250s iso320
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 10-28-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with you about the graphic nature of the image. I like this a lot. It's a great hunting pose, with good POV, nice detail and exposure. Well worth the extra small effort to remove the specular highlights, IMHO. I would have liked to see more room all around, but you obviously don't have it. Don't shy away from commenting on others' images; you obviously understand the issues involved in making a good one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Image quality is very nice. Love the pose and intense stare. Whites look great. I don't mind the circles at all. Just wish you could have crawled back so the bird isn't so tight in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot Jack - I like this one a lot. The pose is so typical for an egret and very well captured. Tone, colour and detail all look excellent. As noted, the composition is a bit tight but still think it works well. As for things you commented on about this image, both the blue and the highlights can be easily fixed if you wanted to do so:

For the intense blue (which I think is fine anyway and creates a great contrast): Select all but the bird and drop the blue saturation.
    For the highlights in the background, the healing brush will get rid of these very quickly. Another 'quick and dirty' is to select the top part of the image, apply a fairly sizeable feather, then apply blur.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill. I had debated in my mind whether this image was worth taking the time to removing the specular highlights. I think I may go ahead and make the effort and might consider printing it at that time.
    Last edited by Jack Backs; 10-29-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I was out as far in the surf as I felt safe(for my gear). I would have had to start raising the POV to move out farther.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I actually do like the blue of the background. I am partially red/green color blind so I'm not always sure about color balance(at least that's my excuse if things don't look right to other people). I probably will use the healing brush on the highlights as I'm not a big fan of blurs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Terrific hunting pose, and the raised foot is the icing on the cake! Good details on those whites. Yes to wishing more room (especially in front), and those highlights should be easy to remove with the spot healing tool. In the meantime, they look like a bunch of eyes staring at the egret's hunting prowess :-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off welcome to the forum! Great pose and setting and I really like the water color too as it makes the egret pop from the BG well. Nice details and exposure also. Yes to loosening the composition a little and I don't mind the specular highlights in the BG to much. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack, Welcome to the forum. Nice details, colors and low angle, the exposure seems spot on as well, the specular highlights are ok with me.
    I would open the frame a bit if you have room.

-Tim