Thread: Morning Wander

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Morning Wander

Attached Images Attached Images

Another from my trip to Silver Salmon Creek. Taken at low tide at about 6:30 a.m. This young boar was out to clam but didn't actually do much digging for clams.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 321mm
    1/750
    f6.7
    ISO 800
    HH, ff, levels, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel very nice light and the bear on a mission is looking great .
    Color and tone in the bear is looking very good and you have very nice detail in the subject , crop works for me .
    I wonder if you can get , if you like , a bit more tone in the washed out looking water ? Just a thought .
    A slight pano crop might work , too.

TFS Andreas

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light and great pose from the bear, Rachel. Detail, tone and colour look excellent and I like the contrast with the almost colourless background and foreground. I wonder if you have a frame a moment later without the seagull? Also, the horizon is just a tiny bit off and a very small clockwise rotation will fix. A very nice shot all the same.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas and Glenn, much appreciated. Andreas - yes, a more pano crop would work as an alternative. I wanted the mostly smooth water but understand it won't be to everyone's liking.

Glenn - I think the muddy area is not a straight line (there's no horizon in the image). I had used the bear's feet to check for straightness and they are straight. I sort of like the seagull which stuck around. I have other shots without it but the head angle and smooth water isn't as nice.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, agree with both Glenn and Andreas here. A slight rotation works and addressing the much lighter side brings a more balanced light to the LHS and improves the image with a more even and warmer tone. Darkening the lighter top also brings more to the depth overall I feel. I would have liked the Bear to have been a tad more 'into the frame' and with a faster SS (raising the ISO would have been not an issue) the raised feet and trailing water would have had more clarity and added to the scene. Love the light, but the Gull would have gone in my book.

TFS
    Steve

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this one Rachel. I think the smoothness works real well. Nice detail on the bear and I love the lighting conditions. The reflection adds. Very pleasing to the eye.

Will

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Glenn - I think the muddy area is not a straight line (there's no horizon in the image). I had used the bear's feet to check for straightness and they are straight.
    Ok, thanks for pointing that out. The line looked just like horizon with cloud above! Looks can be deceptive. But I think this is a time when the 'correct' level may be visually the wrong one, at least in my book. I have a particular dislike of out-of-level horizons though.

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, Will and Glenn. Glenn -I'll take another look at the rotation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Another lovely image of this subject and I liked the Bear on the move pose and details in your subject . Agree with Andreas , but still it is looking lovely to my eyes. TFS !

15. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

A lovely image that directs the viewer's attention to the beauty of a species as seen in its natural environment. Love the purposeful walk from the bear and that fixed stare.

I would be happy with the gull in the picture if he (or she) was kind enough to look the other way, or maybe fly to the L side of the frame (for better balance)

Colours are stunning, great detail and textures on the subject. Love the reflection. I do agree with comments above regarding a slight rotation.

Enjoyed viewing, very much. A wonderful representation of your experience, thank you so much for sharing.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea