Canon 500 is II
    1/5000
    f.4
    iso 500

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ciao Gio!

Love the effect of the backlight on the apes and the grasses - always a big fan for backlight! Creates a great atmosphere.

My only two small points would be perhaps to avoid or remove the bright area top left - it distracts; and if possible, rotate the image a few degrees clockwise - it appears to my eye to tilt to the left slightly.

Best wishes, Gerald

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

so it iis better

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the light here wish there was some more room at the bottom.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gio - I too am a fan of backlit images and animalscapes. This sort of combines both. The rp is an improvement for the reasons Gerald noted. I too want more room below though.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb shot, Giovanni. Very different and very nice! I really like the way the background looks in this shot along with the great backlighting and shafts of light across the ground. Your pano crop works well. My initial reaction was also more at the bottom of the frame but I wonder if an extra bright element there will divert from that great background? Probably worth a try if you have the frame though.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello
    I have more room below ..but there is a broked tree....so no the best for me..but I could post for your tips .
    Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

a bit more space below..

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very eye catching shot, my only reservation is that there is not quite enough at the bottom.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Gio, you are posting very creative images of late. Would have liked some more room at the bottom of the frame. TFS !

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

RP is better. But I will be difficult and say I still want more space at the bottom of the frame. And a tad less on the LHS.

I do like the golden light, and the silhouettes of the baboons, very much

Some lovely creative shots lately, keep them coming!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

THanks Gabriela
    what you means with LHS ?
    About the bottom I am ok with you but the shoot have n good option to o it..
    I load the simple raw converted to show how is the situation...for some tips if possible
    Thanks
    Gio

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. By "LHS" I meant " left hand side" of the frame.

I like the idea behind this image, very much. But when I look closely I see a few problems: the fallen branches in the foreground, the thick grass stem across the adult baboon's body and the fallen tree in the background which is a bit distracting. By the way I notice some spots in your OP, first RP and the jpg version above, probably "dust bunnies".

The pano version is indeed suitable for this kind of shot. But overall the "situation" is a bit complicated. I see no way of processing this without ending up with a much altered version. The eerie feel is there, but you would need to "clean up" unwanted elements and also crop from the left hand side of the frame (to an extent that you lose the effect you were seeking in the first place). As it is it looks a bit untidy, if you know what I mean.

Nevertheless a really nice experiment. I think the lesson here for you is to pay more attention to composition when out there in the field, taking in consideration the environment.

Thank you Gio once again,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    I like the idea behind this image, very much. But when I look closely I see a few problems: the fallen branches in the foreground, the thick grass stem across the adult baboon's body and the fallen tree in the background which is a bit distracting.
    I find it really interesting to hear about the things that make images (or break them) for others. In my case, none of those things bothered me although I have every respect for Gabriela and her experience which vastly outweighs mine in this type of photography. I still like this shot a great deal and feel that the original with just a little more added to the bottom will really take this one up a few levels for me. I would add just enough to bring in the first row of dead branches in the foreground and I think they will actually frame the shot nicely. For me, the rest should be as presented in the OP.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    I find it really interesting to hear about the things that make images (or break them) for others. In my case, none of those things bothered me although I have every respect for Gabriela and her experience which vastly outweighs mine in this type of photography. I still like this shot a great deal and feel that the original with just a little more added to the bottom will really take this one up a few levels for me. I would add just enough to bring in the first row of dead branches in the foreground and I think they will actually frame the shot nicely. For me, the rest should be as presented in the OP.

Thanks Gabriela and Glen...I ask your pardon about loose time n this discussion about a my photo..but I think only talk about a photo is possible grow up (also if I haqve some problem for my bad english.
    I had the idea to cut a bit in LHS to avoid some peace of tree ..but no too much bcouse for me the background is important as an arch...
    Gleen I think is no easy bring in first row the dead branches in the bottom becouse they are out of focus and could give disturb without give more to the shoot
    Thanks a lot
    Gio

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gio,

No need to ask for pardon - those discussions are so enjoyable to us all

Keep those images coming!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea