Thread: Fun in the Dark with Digital ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fun in the Dark with Digital ...

Attached Images Attached Images

Pier at night, Fort DeSoto Park, Pinellas County, FL

This image was created at Fort DeSoto in the early morning of October 22, 2017 with the Induro GIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens (at 100mm), and my favorite pier photography camera body, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -3 stops: 2 1/2 seconds at f/22 in Av mode. WB: 5500.

I used my still flower technique: Live View (for mirror lock) and 2-second timer. Flexi-Sone Single rear focus AF. I selected a point 1/3 of the way out onto the pier. LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: zero (extrapolated). Please click on the image to see the spectacular larger version.

I got to the park way too early so decided to mess around and experiment. I was floored when I saw this one on my Macbook Pro :)

Don't be shy; all comments are welcome.

ps: learn more about the creation of this image and my new LensAlign/FocusTune Micro-adjusting Tutorial e-Guide in the blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful image ArtieI love the sun stars created by the small aperture it seems all of Canons new lenses produce wonderful point of light stars, I would be tempted to crop this more into a pano but thats just me.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting Artie, very crisp. Even with the slow exposure there is still texture on the water.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it and those star bursts on the lights are fantastic and a great composition too!

7. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Image. I remember this one from the blog sometime back.

I like the lights and placements of them, I see lots of lines which also make this image really interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting image Artie, I woulds crop a little off the top and bottom... Still keep the gold isolated from the borders, but I think a little less black would better balance the image.. A second look suggests just a little off the top for me..

Don

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post