Thread: Coral Cove Sunrise

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coral Cove Sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys, So this image has been sitting on my computer for at least two weeks there was a lot that I liked about it but it had one flaw that was ruining the image for me. The image I used for the foreground exposure had patches of blown out areas on the water which I could not blend in from another exposure since the difference in shutter speed lost the smooth effect the rest of the water had. I came across a technique for repairing blown out suns that I modified for the water and with a little cloning to ad texture I was happy with the result. Anyway here it is let me know what you think.

Canon 6D (soon to be a 5DMKIV), 16-35mm f/4 at 16mm(still an awesome lens after two years), two images hand blended, ISO 100, tripod, and my usual workflow of luminosity mask, dodging and burning, and a little Nik thrown in( going to miss those plugins stupid google)
    Post edited to correct issues Dan pointed out
    Last edited by Don Lacy; 11-11-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think that it is great. Love the image design and the degree of blurring. I would love to hear the basics of the new technique that you learned and used.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I think that it is great. Love the image design and the degree of blurring. I would love to hear the basics of the new technique that you learned and used.

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie, What I did was color clone the blown highlights on the ocean using a luminosity mask to apply the color only to the blown areas. I used the color by the sun for the clone and I then set the blend mode to soft light to give it a nice soft feel to it. The clone looked good and matched the tonal values and color in the image but I now had patches of nice color without detail so I used the clone tool to add detail from the surrounding areas. I could have left it alone as it is not uncommon for image like this to have blown areas in them but I hate the look.So i have and been sitting on the image that was 90% processed for weeks. Then I saw a tutorial on color cloning which I know about but hardly use in which they used it to correct a blown out sun which got me to thinking on how I could use it on blown highlights.
    Don Lacy
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams

4. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Don. My problem is that I do not know anything about Luminosity Masks :(

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image Don...love how you corrected the blown out sun on the water as it is very natural looking...I hate that look too. I have on occasion been able to make it look more appealing by using quick masks and adjusting the opacity of the quick mask layer, but I will have to try out your technique too.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Don, but the worlds on a tilt again... I would put a pretend cloud in front of that sun tho as it's still a bit too hot for me. Love the FG, would make the sky a little deeper and remove the dust bunnies above and to the right of the sun...

Don

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Railton View Post
    Very nice Don, but the worlds on a tilt again... I would put a pretend cloud in front of that sun tho as it's still a bit too hot for me. Love the FG, would make the sky a little deeper and remove the dust bunnies above and to the right of the sun...

Don
    you caught me again and now i also have bunnies
    Don Lacy