Thread: Prairie Warbler

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Prairie Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

From a local preserve back in May. I thought he might be small enough in the frame to suit the theme, although not as small as many recent posts.

D500, 80-400 VR @ 550mm (?); Auto ISO 2200, 1/1000s @ f/8 manual. (EXIF says 550 mm. I do recall at some point that I experimented with the 1.4 TC on this lens, which I rarely do.)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your rendering of the greys and greens in the BG with the bright green foliage here is wonderful Bill. The splash of the yellow bird just jumps out at the viewer. An inspiring image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely plenty small in the frame to meet the theme for me, Bill. This is nice work. I love the softness of the scene and really like those lower leaves against the oof background. Detail is excellent as usual and your tone and colour wonderful. The only thing I'd do differently to this if it was mine would be to try and give the bird a little more pop so it stood out more. My immediate thought was to make the non-bird parts one or all of the following: less saturated, duller or flatter in contrast. Composition works well for me. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice Bill. I love the color palette and the perch. The curve of the lower branch is very nice.
    Perfect HA and my only wish would be that there was no intersecting branch behind the beak.
    I would also dodge the dark branches to the right of the warbler.
    I really like the way you have cropped this and could also see a version with a bit more room below,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really interesting composition with those bottom leaves -- I really like it Nice head angle and small in the frame is great here. I also think evening out some of those darker branches via dodging could help. Nice to have the catchlight here. TFS

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good one, Bill. Beautiful light, good head turn, nice perch, and I like the crop. BG just soft enough and showing depth.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, beautiful bird, lovely setting. Nice color palette and composition. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I'll take a look at those branches.