Thread: Waiting for mum.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Waiting for mum.

Attached Images Attached Images

One from the archives here taken over 10 years ago and thought it might be worthy for this month's theme.

These were two of 6, six month old lion cubs waiting patiently for mum and the rest of her pride to return from a hunt, one night in Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia.

Nikon D2Xs
    Nikkor 300 f/2.8VR
    f/4
    1/250s FP flash -1.7EV
    ISO400

Slight crop top and bottom, bean bag front pax seat, selectively reduced exp on lower section to eliminate some large branches, B&W conv with slight warm tone (No apologies Andreas ) in ACR & PS CC '18.

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 10-23-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely framed shot, Marc with excellent tonal range. This is often hard with flash shots as they can look quite 'glarey'. Excellent detail too. Like some other B&W conversions though, I'm wondering if this is actually better in colour?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Nicely framed shot, Marc with excellent tonal range. This is often hard with flash shots as they can look quite 'glarey'. Excellent detail too. Like some other B&W conversions though, I'm wondering if this is actually better in colour?
    The colour version was posted some 9 years ago now here on BPN, and posted this purely to fit this month's theme. And have sinced moved away from flash photography for my night time work and onto the subtle use of spot light and -EV.

4. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For an archive image from a decade ago it is top drawer !! As said the flash is expertly used

6. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - It does fit the theme nicely and has stood up to time though I agree on preferring a soft spot to the flashed look.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc well you went deep into your archive ...
    Looks good from the content POV ...., technically i cannot be as good as todays shots , so i will overlook that
    Wonder where the green/blue stuff is coming from in the tree ? And i would soften the BG to eliminate the grain / noise .
    Looking at the cats i might have chosen landscape format while being outdoors ... but saying this from my comfy chair

But great to see some of your older work that i have not seen before .....long time before i got involved with BPN ....

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- Nice conversion and has that archive look to it . Would go back and also see the colour version of this which you have posted here . TFS !