Thread: Spring Time in the Rockies

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spring Time in the Rockies

Attached Images Attached Images

I found this Kestrel hanging around their nesting cavity in YNP last April. It was snowing so was very difficult to maintain accurate focus, but really liked the contrast of color to snowy background. Would really like critiques. Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600 S @ 512, AV 1/1600, f8.0, ISO 1600, 2/3EV. Processed in DPP4 and LR.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the setting contrast and falling snow. The colors of the bird work well too. You haven't mentioned how much you've cropped but if you can either go in a bit tighter or move to the right that might help as I find the LHS tree a bit overpowering compared to the small bird. See what others think as well with that one. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the POV on this one. Maybe a little of the LHS, as the tree does draw the eye, from the subject. Nice colours on the bird which stand out well against the snowy BG. I like the look back pose. I would have liked to see the bird a little higher in the frame, maybe some off the top, to make a more pano crop.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful scene Gerry and I like what you are doing here. I think this works quite well as the bird does stand out nicely with its contrasting colours. Detail and sharpness on the bird look fairly good here but always hard to know on small shots. As for composition, I think Will's suggestion of a pano crop with some off the top would definitely be worth trying. You've handled the tones on the branch well too, including the snow and ice which shows definition and detail also. Nice work and thanks for sharing.