Thread: 4 are better than one ... sometimes

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 4 are better than one ... sometimes

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks i felt very happy to see all six calves that are born this year in Kraansvlak .
    We where looking intently for the herd , but did not find it the first days ....the day Gerald was going to leave , they appeared for us .
    This image was taken on my last day , around noon , in rainy conditions that you might see .
    I was happy to get four of them quite tight together , and even more they came close . The herd was on the move and they were checking me out .....who is that guy with that long big white thing in his hands .
    Was hoping that they would come frontally all lined up ...sadly they did not , so i was ending up with this more or less awkward framing.
    I still like it though ....even if not ideal on all counts from the techs to the framing.

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    HH no support

F 9 ; 1/ 3200 sec and unbelievable Iso 51200 !! ; dialed in the wrong values by mistake and did not recognized it.

But in the end i am relatively impressed by the technical output

Processed with DPP and PS CC 2018; slight crop from left and right

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous thread

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Boetie

Really, really nice for ISO 51200 - I am impressed. Well exposed, superb detail on this young fellow in front. Looks like those youngsters are having a gossip, LOL.

What was the long white big thing you are talking about, your lens or a sock?

Despite the awkward positioning of those chaps it still works for me. And I love the tiny rain drops:)

Hope you have a wonderful evening Andreas,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - I agree with your self-critique here on both techs and content. Interesting to see how dark they look here and more black/grey than brown.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this one a great deal Andreas. The arrangement of the four animals almost in a radial fashion is really quite nice and a superb profile on the front animal, with excellent tone, colour and detail. That soft light really is excellent. Very impressed at ISO 51,200. What do you use for NR on these shots and where do you apply it. I'd be interested to know. Even the limited DOF works for me here since the front animal looks really crisp and clear. Lovely background and framing/composition too. Thanks for sharing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Rachel and Glenn , your feedback is much appreciated .

Gabriela .... i am a bit disappointed ...you should know that i wear all kind of colors in my sockies , but you never saw me wearing white ones .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas you just bowl me over with these high ISO shots, I am very impressed.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas I was jut pulling your legs...Or rather, socks
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know ....thatīs why i tried to pull back

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still keen to know your NR workflow here Andreas - if it isn't a trade secret?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh sorry Glenn i got interrupted by work during my last reply ....and then i forgot your question .

No secret and very easy , in DPP set NR to half the value that DPP is giving me . In PS first thing i do is use Neat Image on the whole image ( normally ) at full strength , sometimes i use masks to lower the effect on the subject .I start using Neat Image with my kit from Iso 3200 upwards .But i also tried with lower Iso .
    Hope this helps

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Oh sorry Glenn i got interrupted by work during my last reply ....and then i forgot your question .

No secret and very easy , in DPP set NR to half the value that DPP is giving me . In PS first thing i do is use Neat Image on the whole image ( normally ) at full strength , sometimes i use masks to lower the effect on the subject .I start using Neat Image with my kit from Iso 3200 upwards .But i also tried with lower Iso .
    Hope this helps

Cheers Andreas
    Thanks Andreas. I'm using Neat Image too. A few question though... when you say you use it a 'full strength', does this mean you are setting the luminance NR to 100%? Have you created noise profiles for you camera or do you normally auto-profile the image you are working on?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn ...
    some more info : auto profile , 50 -70 % strength in the software ( depending on each image ) , custom settings in all values !

In PS full strength on whole image ( sometimes masked with luminosity mask and brushed in ) .

This is not all , but the rest is my magic

Cheers Andreas

13. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Remarkable IQ at this size at least considering the ISO. The most striking feature of the image is the composition, just wish the last bison was also a bit more visible but not a deal breaker at all. Impressed by your WF, great result, enjoyed viewing this image and thanks for sharing the NR technique.

TFS !