Thread: I Got Your Back, Mom.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I Got Your Back, Mom.

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Hope you enjoy this, it is rather similar with another image I shared recently but a different pose from the cub. Taken at sunset on beautiful Zuka Private Game Reserve.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 500
    F5.6
    1/2000s

Thank you so much for viewing and comments on my previous images, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Beautiful warm light and the processing looks good. The cub is cute but the mom looking away isn't doing it for me. I wish she was at least more in profile if not looking at the cub or viewer. It looks like there may have been some movement too. Sorry.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like your earlier shot, I'm enjoying this one a lot Gabriela. I like the flopped ear on the cub and, like the earlier one, not bothered by the mother looking the other way. I think there was a bit of a discussion about this last time. We each have our own preferences, I guess. The separation of the cheetahs from the background and their 'pop' is excellent here. As usual, I have trouble making sensible comments on detail in these small shots. I'm guessing your RAW at 100% looks good and any apparent softness, eg on the flank of the cub, is simply an artefact of the small image? Hard to get sick of these lovely animals.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello dear Rachel and Glenn,

Thank you so much for your thoughts, as you know I like to have your honest opinions and never take offence when you dislike something

Just a couple of things: I personally like mom looking away (from the aesthetic POV) because the focus is on the cub - this allows the viewer to pay attention to the expression on his face. Watching each other's back (in other words, looking in opposite direction) is part of the species' defence against larger, more powerful predators and a behavioural aspect I like to emphasise with my images. Having spent some time observing cheetah - in their natural environment as well as enclosures - I have noticed adults teach their young to pay attention to the environment from a very young age. This is especially encouraged when a threat is perceived in order to avoid confrontation. In this case, the waterhole. Drinking spots are dangerous, the enemy can pitch up from any direction and just about every species needs to quench its thirst in the afternoon, especially after a hot day. Should cubs get distracted (which is often the case) mom interrupts them with soft, almost inaudible purrs. BTW, cheetah moms seem to never lose patience with their little ones

Regarding softness - I see what you mean, Rachel. But just remember that cheetah cubs have soft fur that resembles fluff. I will certainly revisit the RAW and have a look at the sharpness, thank you. At 1/2000s I do not think it can be due to movement?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I appreciate the lovely light and the cute cub but the adult turning away does not help - sorry Gabriela.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela - In addition to the cub look at mom's rear legs for movement.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Rachel I did another round of sharpening Maybe too much in places, LOL.
    There was no movement, I was shooting on a bean bag and the cheetah mom was still. At 1/2000s movement should not be a problem really. I would rather blame it on lack of DoF, since the baby's face is sharp, and FP is on the little one's face.

Anyway, have a look at the RP and let me know what you think?
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really beautiful light, and a great interaction. But for me there is no compelling eye, ear or tail orientation for the mother to be so dominant in the image, so doesn't work as a standalone. Maybe as part of an image sequence?
    Greg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Greg, I truly appreciate your honest feedback. For me this works because I feel the cub IMO offers enough distraction - or shall I say attraction?

And yes good idea, I have a few images from this sighting and I can put together a story sequence at the week-end.

Interesting to hear everyone's opinion. I cannot help but think otherwise when it comes to cheetah mom, but this is my personal feeling - which could perhaps stem from my "connection" with the subject, so probably based on emotion. In all truth I am a bit disappointed that not everyone sees this in the same light I do, but at the same time I am getting an idea of what the audience likes. After all, I am not doing this just for myself

Hope you have a wonderful week-end, and looking forward to some images from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .... i bet that movement will be frozen at that SS u used ....if there was any .
    Lovely light and color in this frame ...well i am 50/50 about mummy being turned away from the viewer , but the cub is so sweet i can easily overlook the fact .
    Have a great weekend , TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, the repost is an improvement to my eye and looks crisper without looking crunchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Interesting to hear everyone's opinion. I cannot help but think otherwise when it comes to cheetah mom, but this is my personal feeling - which could perhaps stem from my "connection" with the subject, so probably based on emotion. In all truth I am a bit disappointed that not everyone sees this in the same light I do, but at the same time I am getting an idea of what the audience likes. After all, I am not doing this just for myself
    As for your last shot from this sequence, the same issue arose about the mother looking away. As mentioned, it works for me but everyone will see this differently. I always wonder though how much of our viewpoint is the result of conditioning and how much is innate visual sense and impact, if there is such a thing? Maybe it is all down to experience and exposure to other images and opinions. You are right that we share images so need to understand what a wider audience will like and having peers like an image is always a nice thing. But I think it's good to see differently and challenge views sometimes too. So I value your post on several levels including the challenge you have presented. And I still think it is a fine image and thank you for sharing it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Glenn, here are my thoughts this morning:

Even though we are so concerned with colour and light when it comes to art, according to common sense we usually judge a well proportioned (or harmonious) thing beautiful. What really appeals to me at this scene is a kind of harmony brought about by the equilibrium between the two opposites (cheetah mom and cub) as well as the geometry of the landscape. I actually like the positioning of the subjects (almost overlapping, yet not quite). The two cheetah should be seen as opposites in contrast to each other: one young one old, one alert one relaxed, one expressionless and the other full of expression, bodies one straight and still the other curved and filled with tension (calm versus movement). Only one element here represents "perfection" (for lack of a better word): the line, the earth beneath their feet - it is somewhat pleasing to the eye and does not end abruptly in the left corner.

Of course I wanted you to like this, otherwise I would not have shared it:) Since just about everyone struggled with it I felt I had to explain my POV. "Beauty" does not always spring from a perfectly balanced proportion, it may at times be brought about by a sort of "tension", a restless search on our part for something lying beyond the "rules" - would you agree?

Wishing you a lovely week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 10-21-2017 at 07:02 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aside from showing two gorgeous animals in great light and setting, I think this works for me because there is an element of intrigue and a story untold here. What is the mother looking and what is going through her head? The cub looks apprehensive perhaps? There is some mystery that draws me in. Of course, the visual elements have to work together as well, as you've outlined but to engage, it also needs something like this intrigue to make me look twice and think. Just my take though.

14. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful light, and once the behavioural aspect is understood, then the shot takes on its real meaning. Without the words, I thought that mums head angle really let the shot down, but with the extra added information it all comes together as intended.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Lovely light and the cub is super cute , loved those eyes as well. A bit unfortunate to have the mom looking away, i am a bit 50-50 on this frame. The lovely light and the cute cub somehow makes this for me .

TFS !

17. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone, from the heart Got you thinking a bit with this one and received some wonderful honest and thoughtful comments. I love to engage you - nothing as exciting to me like an argument about what works and what not, about proportion and what is pleasing to the eye.

I guess we all agree, "beauty" is not absolute or immutable. It takes on different aspects depending on our backgrounds and experiences. For this reason I think we must make an occasional effort to spend a little more time on each other's images. This, to try and understand the author's intentions and thinking behind the frame. We have so much to learn from each other

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea