Thread: Tricolored Heron

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tricolored Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image a week ago on Nummy Island, NJ under an overcast sky. He had just landed. C&C welcome.

D500, Nikon 500mm f/4G + 1.4 TC, 1/1600s, f 6.3, ISO 1600, Gitzo, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey, I like the image and wish you might have been a bit (?) closer. But I do like the "layers" of vegetation. If it were mine, I would be enhancing those colors to taste!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can see where you are going with this Geoffrey - the wonderful horizontal layers of colour and tone interrupted by the tall bird. Not sure why you stopped down at all for this as I think minimising the depth of field would have been ideal - but perhaps not much in it between wide open and f6.3. If mine, I'd be tempted to turn this into a more pano crop by losing a fair bit off the top and perhaps increasing the saturation to bring out more colour separation in the layers of vegetation. I still like this though and think it has a bit of unrealised potential still.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Frank and Glenn. I was torn while working on this in post, because my original post was closer to what I saw and I did play a bit with saturation, but I kind of like this version. I do like the layers of vegetation and wanted to keep them in. f6.3 was setting from previous images just before.

Geoffrey

Name:  ©-2017-Geoffrey-Montagu_DSCa••1694_01-copy-Nummy-Island-Tricolored-Heron-copy.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  161.4 KB

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu