Default Great spotted woodpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken with:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
    ƒ/5.6
    1/250
    ISO 2500

Shot from the end of last winter. Can't wait for the start of the autumn/winter season here in Poland. Look forward to it.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent capture and exposure, Tomasz. Beautiful feather patterns, and nice sharp detail. Perfect light conditions, and lovely BG. Like the moss on the perch also.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Tom great colours and nice composition. If the tree stump/perch has been sharpened I would suggest reducing it, the lichens and mosses are very attractive but I find they are competing with the woodpecker a little bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. It's been sharpened only on the output file around 120/0.3/1 USM and this is about 90% of frame. I guess it's just sharp :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really nice woodpecker image. You have a perfect pose and background. Bird looks great. I can see what Jonathan is saying re the lichen. Perhaps lower the sharpening on only the lichen a bit. Also on the left hand side in the background there is a darker triangle that I would clone out or blend a little with the background. Would do the same with the dark line that leads down from the wing on the right side as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hard to get much closer to perfect than this, Tomasz. The light is beautiful and has helped show that stunning colour and plumage detail. You've handled the tone and detail in both the black and very light parts superbly. Background is excellent. The perch is quite a powerful visual element but it looks entirely natural to me. If you were worried about it, one option would be to selectively darken it a little and flatten the contrast on that part of the image but I personally think this works as presented.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. The perch is form the forest the pic was shot. It felt down from the top of one of the big and old trees that are present there. So it's from natural environment of that bird.