Thread: Next time you are struggling out of that low chair...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Next time you are struggling out of that low chair...

Attached Images Attached Images

... spare a thought for this European Bison struggling to get her great bulk up off the ground. She had to rock and roll several times to get enough momentum to lift and drag herself to her feet.

The image was taken last month on an expedition to the wildest Netherlands with renowned 'Bison Whisperer" - Andreas Liedmann.

Shot with Canon 1DX, EF200-400 with 1.4x III at 672mm, Gitzo tripod and Mongoose head
    TV 1/1000, f/9.0 ISO 1600
    Converted with DPP 4.3 and processed with Photoshop CS5.1.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks for looking!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light looks harsh here but i like it. The bison looks deflated.

3. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I feel like that some mornings Gerald so I can relate! This image makes the animal look a really unusual shape so made me look twice. POV, background and foreground look nicely rendered to me but I feel it would improve this to flatten the contrast on the bison, especially to bring out more in the shadows if possible. The light was clearly quite harsh and unforgiving. Still a really interesting and enjoyable frame.

5. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald -- Nice timing on this one and a nice caption as well. I feel you have handled that strong light quite well and managed to bring out the details in its fur. Slightly strong on contrast for my liking, also i feel the white sand in the FG is a bit blown out and in the process catching my eye . A bit more space in the direction it is looking might be another option but as framed it still is working . TFS !

7. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gerald,

I like this, it just shows the sheer size of this majestic animal. Very interesting pose, great timing and nice techs too.

The light was obviously quite strong but subject well exposed, I would reduce those HL on the nose and do a bit of work on the FG.

Happy with the framing and I think POV is great. Subject sharp with good detail.

Very nice work, I gather you had a great time with Andreas and returned with some awesome captures, let us have more please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gentlemen, thanks for your feedback. Yes, the sun, when it came out, was not at the best angle, but I think it helped to show the different textures of the hair. Glenn, good thinking, I'll try easing the shadow from the head and horn, to give more texture. Haseeb - point taken on the contrast! Not much texture in the sand, but it's not blown - maybe I could knock it back a little.
    Much appreciated..

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, just saw your post, too!

Thanks for the kind words. We had a lot of fun, but frankly, as a 'Bison Whisperer'.... well, he should keep his day job!

I'm getting back into post processing a bit more again, so there are more bison to come!

Best wishes,

Gerald

12. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald - Nice pov and something a bit different as far as poses. It reminds me a bit of a cat stretching as it gets up from a nap. Yes, the light was harsh but you handled it well. Good suggestions covered above.

TFS,
    Rachel

14. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald ...well the whisperer got the job perfectly done ...when you left . As i already told you , they came as close that i could have touched them .... well if one is mad enough to do so .
    Good that you waited there , just worth for the wait to get the pose you present here .

Looks like a tired cat getting up ...

Good top and you have lovely detail in the subject , great eye . I am actually ok with the contrast and darks , quite realistic having the time of shooting in my mind . The HL are clipped in green / red channel ...no detail left . Double process is the key here from my POV . I think you have too much below in the fur, they do appear to a more reddish color/ tone to me in nature . But this can be for sure a very subjective thing .
    Overall i enjoyed very much your company !!!! I would do it immediately again .... thanks for all the funny moments .

TFS Andreas

16. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot very much, the light was tricky but you did well. You may find reducing the contrast just a little in DPP helps.

18. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all your comments and guidance.

I think I have addressed most of the issues with this repost, but pleased to have further comments if you have any thoughts.