Thread: Red deer stag

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer stag

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm F4 L IS ISO 1250, 1/1000 sec f5.6
    ACR PSCC

This stag was bellowing in all directions though there was not much of a threat about. There was another large stag but he already has his harem and there was a much smaller stag strutting in his urine soaked coat but he wasn't anywhere near big enough yet.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The turned head, bellowing open mouth and grass head gear all working very well for you here Jonathon, plus a pleasing BG too, just would have liked a tad more lower room if you had it?

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the grass in the antlers and that great calling pose.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great bellowing pose and grass headgear. At this distance, a roaring stag flaying in the grasses can be quite intimidating!

The OOF grasses are disrupting the image a bit for me and there seems to be a bit of something funky going on at the top of the legs.

Nevertheless a very cool image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Kelberg View Post
    Great bellowing pose and grass headgear. At this distance, a roaring stag flaying in the grasses can be quite intimidating!

The OOF grasses are disrupting the image a bit for me and there seems to be a bit of something funky going on at the top of the legs.

Nevertheless a very cool image!
    No monkey business Gerald just OOF grasses.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent action pose, Jon, especially the grass in the horns/antlers. Detail, colour and tone are wonderful. The OOF grass in front of the two pairs of legs does distract for me though. Otherwise a really great frame.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, a lot has been echoed with my own thoughts when I first saw this. I love the HA and bellowing call, along with the rack covered in grass, obviously he was getting himself looking smart to attract the ladies!!!

Like both Gerald & Glen the OOF grasses over the front is a tad distracting and I wonder if going a bit lighter helps? It has that appearance of the combination of the two overlapping, creating a darker area, if you know what I mean. I think tweaking the Green Channel inCurves helps too. One of the nicest Stag images I've scene for quite a while, timing was key here for me, along with the draped vegetation. I think here you were a tad conservative on SS, easily going to 1/2000 as ISO was on your side, better to have the image sharp Jon.

Jon, perhaps a combination of the two, but the FG looks a bit better and more colour in the coat, WDYT?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Having seen your repost Steve, I agree, your version shows him off better than mine.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I'm with the builders this morning, but if you want to talk and if I can shed some 'light', call me this afternoon.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture Jon,

And I agree, a very thoughtful RP from Steve. I find the Deer and its grass adorned antlers absolutely gorgeous!

Lovely detail on the subject and he stands out so nicely among the vegetation. Framing would be perfect with a tad more at the bottom.

I thoroughly enjoyed viewing this frame and I like the behavioural aspect it portrays - very nice work Jon, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, I have a few more and I am returning next week - maybe get some rutting action.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon what a nice specimen of the Red Deer , looking like a big boy and he is in business .
    Love the overall comp and his behavior is well captured , love the bellowing and the grasses in his antlers .Pity about the OOF FG in front of his legs , but what can you do ......take it and be happy with it!!!!
    I am almost quite happy with your tones and color .... you can take Steve`s RP and blend it on top of your colors at ...maybe 30 % and you might get away with a slighter better overall color look. Just my view .

Nice one , keep them coming , been to the netherland rut on the way from the bisons, was boring that day . Seen nothing comparable to yours

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas glad you liked it hopefully more next week... maybe have something of a surprise for tomorrow.