Thread: Immature Bale Eagle liftoff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Immature Bale Eagle liftoff

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this immature Bald Eagle in SW Montana last summer. The juveniles are relatively tame compared to the adults. This bird was perched and allowed a relatively close approach until he/she had had enough of my presence and launched. I think this the best of the series.

Taken with a Canon 5DIV w/ a 400mm DOII plus 1.4x (560mm), hand held, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 800. Converted in DPP4 controlling the RGB values of the highlights at approx, 235. Cropped a bit in Photoshop, NIK Detail extractor to lighten up the dark tones in addition to a slight Curves adjustment to do the same, Hue and color balance to enhance the reds a bit. No additional sharpening after a 4 unsharpmask in DPP4.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome and hope you enjoy!

Frank

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good take-off shot. I don't know the bird or the skies there but the sky looks a bit lilac to me. I'm also sure you could get more detail out of the bird by using something like Shadows and Highlights.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Driscoll View Post
    Good take-off shot. I don't know the bird or the skies there but the sky looks a bit lilac to me. I'm also sure you could get more detail out of the bird by using something like Shadows and Highlights.
    Hi Colin. Do appreciate the look. I think you are correct re the lilac sky color. Actually I had to look up "lilac" in that I am not good with colors. There is a slight reddish ting to the sky that I believe happened when trying to get a little more color out of the bird. Creating a mask on the bird in the levels layer helped. I assume you are referring to the Highlight and Shadow sliders in DPP4. I have yet to try that, but appreciate the suggestion.

Again, thanks for the look.

Frank