Thread: Noel -Like Seminole -New Member introductions

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Noel -Like Seminole -New Member introductions

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello, my name is Noel (I pronounce it Nole like Seminole). I live in Tampa, FL and have loved nature my entire life. I’ve wanted to get into nature photography since I was a kid, but I just hadn’t made it a top priority until now. Luckily, I received a beautiful Canon Rebel T6 and the accompanying EF 75-300 kit lens at the beginning of the year and off to the races I went!

On a recent trip to my beloved Ft. Desoto, I met the great Artie Morris and a few of his students. They were gracious enough to give me a few important pointers which I think led to instant results. One of the suggestions was to join this community and here I am.

Here are a few of the topics I’m currently working on:
    1) Exposure (specifically, making test shots and checking the histograms-sometimes working in AV and sometimes manual mode – a lot of my shots require adjustments to exposure due to user error)
    2) Keeping my subject in a direct line with the Sun (I have some repeatable photographs I think are decent but not the right Sun angle)
    3) Nice clean backgrounds
    4) Sharpness (I’ve been trying hard to get sharp photos, but not there yet)
    5) Post processing (I just got Lightroom about a month ago)

I look forward to learning from your comments and participating on the site. This looks like an amazing resource. I’m thankful to have the opportunity to learn from you all, and share what I’ve learned in the process.

Sincerely,
    Noel

PS: This Yellow Rat Snake was photographed Saturday at Circle B Bar Reserve right on the bird blind boardwalk. It was a beautiful opportunity to photograph a beautiful snake, but he didn't really want to cooperate with the Sun angle or head angle shots. I will get better versions of those shots.

ISO 100
    ƒ/7.1
    1/500 sec
    handheld at 205mm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Noel, welcome to BPN!! Glad you got to bump into Artie and his group, which in turn has lead you here. You will find that this is a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well welcome to BPN, Noel, and that's some introductory story meeting Artie at BPN. It seems you are working on some good priorities and once you jump in and begin participating on this site, you'll learn that much faster. Love the low angle on your snake image and looking forward to more of your images.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel and Marina for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing here!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Noel, Welcome to BPN, a great place to learn. Thanks for the kind mention but I have heard some bad things about the artie guy ... I like your snake image. You will love your new gear :) Noel is upgrading to the 7D II and the 100-400 II :) Did you have a reason for placing the snake above rather than below the horizontal center-line?
    with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Artie,

The real reason that I placed the snake above the horizontal line rather than below it is because of my beginning post processing and picture making skills. The picture had distracting elements in it (leaves and fencing at the sides of the boardwalk) that I cropped out. The version that I originally uploaded was simply the 'clean' area without enough regard to composition.

Here is another try at it:

1) I cropped it a second time to place the snake slightly below the horizontal line and to place the snakes head on the left with more room in the image to the right (in an effort to make a slightly more pleasing composition).

2) I opened it in Photoshop and used the clone stamp tool to remove a distracting piece of dirt above and in front of the subject.

I got started with the upgraded gear yesterday. I'm excited to see what I can come up with.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Noel, I like the original post better :) See you this weekend.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Noel, Nice to see you again

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey there he is! How are you sir?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doing great! Just joined here. Will be posting some images for critique soon.
    See you around!