Thread: Pelican Yoga

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pelican Yoga

Attached Images Attached Images

From the 2016 San Diego trip, when I was still figuring out how to use a digital camera after obstinately sticking with Fuji Provia and a Nikon F5 ever since high school. By pure chance he had his wing in the exact same plane as his head and bill, so I got some unexpected feather detail there. I'm hoping to have another chance at a pose like this! No, it's not a vertical turned on its side by mistake, he really did have his neck all the way out and sideways to preen under the wings.

7D mkII, 300mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III
    1/1600 @ f/8, ISO 400
    ACR/Photoshop, minimal adjustments, mostly NR on the dark blue background

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you have a good image here but I don't think you have embedded the SRGB profile in your converted image, so when I check the image in PSCC the colours are different to those presented on the web. When you Save for Web was Convert to SRGB ticked??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jake, I think the pose is wonderful and your framing and composition are a great artistic treatment. Colours on the bird are really striking and background is nice and neutral. Overall the image does look a little soft to me though. Maybe it's just the small size. How does the RAW look for detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

It's definitely the small file size; the raw file is bang on from what I can tell, and I'm not exactly cavalier when it comes to sharpness. I've blown it up 16x20 on enhanced matte, and the first thing I thought was "this could be twice as big and not lose any detail"! I'll see if I can put up a better file, since there also seemed to be a colour issue with the first JPG.

Edited to add: here's the same picture with a bit of output sharpening done. Hopefully the colours are correct this time.
    Last edited by Jake Levin; 10-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great shot but I think the image processing is slightly awry, the histogram is compressed at both ends.