Thread: Whitetail Doe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whitetail Doe

Attached Images Attached Images

Whitetail dow coming out of the woods in the morning. Pretty neat black strip down the chest. Image adjustments in Lightroom. Handheld, full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIII
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    293mm
    ISO 3200
    f5.6
    1/320sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi John, for me this is perhaps one of your best in terms of composition, love the lowish POV, the angle of the head conveying alertness and good space all round, however the image looks/appears soft.

I guess perhaps you were around 20m to the subject then I reckon f/7.1 would have been better, but with the HA f/5.6 looks OK. Overall the colour looks off to me, going more to a green tinge??? The FG grass also appears washed-out and thin. I would revisit the RAW, get some Exp back in the FG, in the Green channel drop it a fraction and then get some Colour back in and some/hint of Saturation. How far you take it is a personal choice to a degree, I may have pushed it a fraction more, but it's really only to illustrate the points hopefully. I've taken the liberty of removing the diagonal branch above the back and filled in the top LHC to help frame things more, but that was within PS. I've also backed off on the Contrast & Black and added some NR to the BKG only.

John if this was sharp and with some simple tweaks (and they are) this then would have been a real corker of an image and one I would have loved to take myself.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, this one looks a little soft to me as well. I like the POV and meadow in the foreground. Nice alert pose on the animal. I'm less certain about the background but the shorter focal length has created less blur there and the animal mustn't have been that far in front relative to where you were. I like the general direction Steve has taken this in his repost but feel it is now a bit too warm. Somewhere between the two in colour would be more convincing, I think.