Thread: Sunset at Bryce Canyon National Park

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunset at Bryce Canyon National Park

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,

I took this image at Bryce Canyon National Park last week. I wanted to capture sunrise and sunset at Bryce Canyon National Park. This was my first trip and did not know what to expect. I will again be heading there as I want to photograph in Winter Season with snow.

Nikon D500, 24-120 f/4
    1/60, f/8, ISO 400
    5 Images blended- Bracketing - HDR image.

I mostly photograph Birds but I do love Landscapes
    I struggle a lot with landscapes, I think I got the shot but after coming home I generally do not like them.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

As a side note I do like to know for Landscape photography do we need a full frame camera ? Can you suggest some good books to for Landscape/Long Exposure photography ?

Thanks for watching.

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna

Welcome to another side of BPN... You have a good subject here and the HDR colours/processing looks very real to me anyway (but I have never see this place..), so well done there. My main suggestion is the apparent tilt in the earth, the image looks to need a bit (~ 4 degrees, quite a bit..)of anti-clock wise rotation. Now there are not many things that you can use in this image to absolutely check that its level so its highly likely I am wrong...however, I based my guess at 4 deg on some of the larger trees (generally they grow vertical) and the fact that my eye seems to tell me its low RHS... I don't have a list of landscape reference texts you might study unfortunately, I'm not that smart..

DON

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree It might need a bit of rotation. I was thinking the same after posting it. I will correct the same.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Corrected the Horizon Align Issue. Reposting the image. Added a little bit contrast

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, Wonderful image but when I first open the thread I thought the horizon is off which you fixed and that the midtowns are to bright for washing out some of the color and not really natural for the light I see in the sky. Hope you don't mind but I pulled it into PS to show you what I am talking about and how lowering the mid tone values effect the image.
    Last edited by Don Lacy; 10-24-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    Hi Krishna, Wonderful image but when I first open the thread I thought the horizon is off which you fixed and that the midtowns are to bright for washing out some of the color and not really natural for the light I see in the sky. Hope you don't mind but I pulled it into PS to show you what I am talking about and how lowering the mid tone values effect the image.
    Thank you Don.

I am still new to post processing so use dodging for the mid tones. Yours is much better

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Thank you Don.

I am still new to post processing so use dodging for the mid tones. Yours is much better
    I kept it simple I used a curve adjustment and clicked on the middle of the curve and pulled it down until it looked right to me. You could also use a level adjustment and move the middle triangle to the right.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

9. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely scene and Don's post gives it a lift although I have no idea how it looked in real life.

11. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post