Thread: Northern Harrier

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Harrier

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this NOHA female the other day at Brigantine, NJ. We were driving along the 8 mile drive very slowly, when this NOHA flew right in front of us swooping down into the reeds and tall grasses. I stopped the car, got out, retrieved my camera with the 500mm attached from the back seat, and didn't want to waste a second attaching to the tripod in case she decided to takeoff. Sure enough she flew up right away, and I was able to follow her flight hand holding my gear. I don't often hand hold the camera with 500mm lens, but I was pleasantly surprised how many images I captured of her. C&C welcome.

D500, Nikon 500mm f/4G + 1.4 TC, HH, 1/3200s, f 6.3, ISO 640

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoff, great banking pose you captured here showing the top view nicely. I really like the slight head turn, and overall, well exposed and sharp. Im glad you managed to capture her clear in the sky, and not if she had intersected the sky and foliage.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I echo Stu's comments... I guess I would have wished the lower wing was extended more but we only capture what it gives. Lovely image, thank you for sharing, Geoffrey.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu and Joe.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You were quick off the mark on this one. I was still struggling to get out of the car, with camera/lens attached to the tripod and the wind howling at 40 mph doing it's best to keep me from opening the door. Ditto the wing position comments above, but you take what you can get, especially when it's a Harrier.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutley love it when they are checking you out like this and good job hand holding your 500mm. Yeh, if that left wing position were a little lover it would have been better, but as they say, you get what you get! Thanks for the post!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done on capturing this one Geoffrey. Fab HA and stare. I can just picture Bill trying to get out the car, knowing the bird was flying past

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks William. I'm sure most of us have experienced this or some combination of situation Bill encountered. That was unfortunate Bill, I know you would have gotten some great images otherwise.

Geoffrey