Thread: Monitor Selection

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monitor Selection

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a new Monitor. So far I have been editing my images of Macbook Pro Laptop. Due to the space constraints and also interest of a bigger/better size displays, I want to move to a desktop system.

I purchased Mac Mini (used) with 16GB RAM + 500GB Harddisk with a decent enough processor. This will be my main PC on which I wish to edit my Images. I already have spyder pro calibration device and will be calibrating my Monitor.

Now coming my main question, I am looking to buy a new monitor but I am open to getting refurbished/used.

I have checked the following so far with my budget maxing at 250-400$ ( I know that is not a great budget but I would rather spend money on lenses than monitors)

With above said, can any one recommend me with some good options ? I was thinking of getting 25 -27 inch monitors.

So far I have been looking at Dell but open to any brands as long as they are good.

1.) Dell - UltraSharp U2515H
    2.) Dell U2413 ( This a bit Above my budget )

Do we need to get Adobe Gamut Monitors ?
    Do we need to 25 -27 or 32 inch Monitors ?

Thanks
    Krishna
    Last edited by Krishna Prasad kotti; 10-14-2017 at 12:02 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna.

Within you budget, you will not be able to find a monitor with the full RGB gamut. If you can get 100% of sRGB, that would be good. The Dells that you mention are "best buys". 24" is where to start. Larger is better, but you can do fine with 24". Hopefully you can borrow a calibration device in the beginning and then later own your own.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response. Do we need full RBG Gamut Monitors ? If yes what is the use of the same ?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna its the old story the more you spend the more you get but you do have to bare in mind the law of diminishing returns. I would suggest Eizo screens are worth looking at, I have a relatively modest SRGB monitor :
    http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/c...230/index.html
    It looks fine to me, my colleague has a far higher spec one that he uses for magazine publication, (he has to to produce auditable data because he makes reports on printing papers) it is obviously "better" having a more accurate colour display and a wider gamut but to be perfectly honest I don't actually see much difference on a purely subjective scale. If you were to compare calibration data you would not doubt see there was a significant difference. I think when you see things side to side you can make a clearer judgement but all I can say is that purely for value for money I have been happy with my Eizo for about 8 years. If I was going to replace it I would go for a higher spec model that would display the whole of Adobe RGB colour space, simply because I know I am more likely to see the full or nearly full range of colours I have captured, but I doubt that I would genuinely actually see much difference. I am sure other folk would confirm that higher spec monitors are indeed better at showing true colours and finer detail but I think the Eizo is good value for money.

6. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have been hearing some good things about the BenQ monitors if you can stretch another 200.00 this one is highly recommended and get 99% adobeRGB coverage benq_sw2700pt_27_photographer_monitor_with.html
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

8. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don,

Thank you for the info. Are you currently using this monitor ?

I will try to see in B&H.

Is is a good idea to get a use Monitor from B&H ?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response. Do we need full RBG Gamut Monitors ? If yes what is the use of the same ?
    If you're printing large prints of the very highest quality, then you'll want to see and use the full RGB gamut. For internet, the standard is sRGB. Most of the vanity book printers have now moved to sRGB.

In my cameras, when selecting the color space for my RAW files, I select RGB, just in case I'll need it in the future; however, when I convert to JPEG, I select sRGB color space. My printer/friend has a full RGB monitor and I can look at my image in full RGB before printing. I normally wait to be surprised, since is always pleasant to see more gamut on the print.

Eizo is a fine monitor, but out of your price range, I'm guessing.

11. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna, for processing RAW you need to set your color space to Adobe RGB to use the full spectrum that your camera captures, if you are serious about photography I highly recommend using a monitor that can produce at least 98% of Adobe RGB space. It will be more than $400 but I double Don's recommendation to pay a bit more to get something that will serve you better in the long run. A good monitor is just as important as the lens IMO and it can last you longer too. A cheap monitor will lose its brightness and color accuracy over time and you have to trash it after a couple of years....

hope this helps
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

13. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash,

Thank you for the Info. I saw couple of monitors which are said to be 100% Adobe RGB Gamut. Can you suggest some recommendations as to what brands should I be looking and realistically how much should I be ready to spend the same ?

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Krishna, I can't help with direct advice - except to say I have a relatively inexpensive Acer monitor that appears to perform well, eg tonal rendition at the extremes of black and white where I can see and distinguish all the low and high tones in individual DN steps without problem.

It seems budget is an issue for you. Paying extra is really about buying some insurance of getting a better product with minimum hassle and similarly for buying a brand with a track record in performance like Eizo. However, paying less not a guarantee of buying a bad product either. Modern screens and LED backlights as well as the electronics that control them are very good now. Sorry if this is telling you things you already know but buying for less carries more risk and will require you to work harder to identify something suitable. So if you want to save some $$$, you will probably need to do a bit more digging elsewhere as well as on this site. By all means let us all know what you end up with an how satisfactory it is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna, I use a 4K NEC but that's an expensive model, You can look at the older non-4K screens have dropped in price. This 27" NEC will suit you quite well https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_27_gb_r.html if yoiu can stretch your budget a bit
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Arash for the info. I see that B&H has some used NEC monitors (NEC PA272W) , is it worth looking at used Monitor or should it be better to go for new one only ?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do have one final question before I make up my mind. Do we need to buy separate calibration software for NEC monitors or will my existing Spyder Pro works fine ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    I do have one final question before I make up my mind. Do we need to buy separate calibration software for NEC monitors or will my existing Spyder Pro works fine ?
    Both the NEC and BenQ have built in calibration software and I am still using an older 27in iMac but will be replacing it soon I know right now I am not getting the best out of my monitor and it drives me crazy.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

20. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi have decided with BenQ for now. Found used monitor which comes to around 450$. I will let you know once I get it.