Thank You Posts

Default Puffin Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm with 1.4
    f/8
    1/2000
    ISO 800

This one I captured on the magical island of Staffa, on Scotland's West coast. The island is uninhabited and probably more famous for Fingal's Cave, made famous by the composer Mendelssohn and his Hebrides Overture. A very small island, where, if you walk 500 yards from the cave, away from the tourists, who visit the cave by boat, you come across a colony of Puffins, where you can get close to them. The light here, is also magical, and very natural. Recently, a survey carried out, showed the oldest Puffins, were 37 years old. This one for sure does have the markings of an older bird. The Puffins will be at sea. When they see human activity, they fly towards the island, and perch nearby, knowing that the human activity will keep away the gulls and skuas, their natural predators. Smart birds.

Will
    Last edited by William Dickson; 10-13-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, killer portrait what's not to like, nice job.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What is it about puffins and owl shots that makes them s appealing?!
    Beautiful portrait with great IQ and details.
    Exposure is perfect. Excellent DOF.
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another spot on Puffin portrait, William. Great detail, and especially an amazing look at the eye structure. Lovely BG too.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, the IQ, detail and exposure in this are simply outstanding. You have outdone yourself here, and when you come away with images like this, its pretty hard to achieve better. A fine image all round Will.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Will, I echo all the previous comments, all's been said. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, nice 'detailed' head shot and with the strong light you controlled things well.

I would drop the Blue, it's too intrusive especially on the white chest. I would also apply some exposure & HL (minus) on the beak which will I feel help. Watch the blacks on the back, not to choke things. Going to the Right on the Temp just brings things up a bit and helps the drab backdrop, perks things up I think, you can always use a layer & mask if required but I don't think you need too. DoF looks spot on, any closer and you would need to start thinking of say f/11 .

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent shot with superb detail Will. Background is perfect and you have handled the strong light well, I think. I'm not familiar with these but do they actually have a black 'collar' or is it the charcoal/dark grey that I mostly see in photos? Your composition rounds this off nicely. Seems Steve has picked up on the finer colour and tone details. Lovely- thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, what a great Puffin portrait. Absolutely love it. I am sure Steve has good suggestions re on post, way above my level of understanding of color balance, but trying to learn. But whatever suggestions may arise, you have a killer image to start with. Also, appreciate the commentary on the island. Maybe someday!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated. Thanks for that info Steve, and your email. It does look better, especially reducing the blues on the chest. Hi Glenn, yes it is a black collar they have, but sometimes the colours vary, depending on the amount, and direction, of light. I am sure you would love Scotland, maybe someday, Frank

Will