Thread: Steve and Andreas discussing IQ ...LOL !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Steve and Andreas discussing IQ ...LOL !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...got this two marmots having a short discussion , about something i do not know .
    Image taken recently in Filzmoos ( Austria )

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II
    HH

F 9 ; Iso 12800; 1/2000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS cc 2017; slight crop from right and top

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting.

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- haha , what a caption ! I can literally imagine the two o you here . IQ looks good at this size , and nice timing as well. Those fangs look quite dangerous considering the size of the animal. Rain is certainly adding to this image but i would have liked a cleaner BG, that rock in the BKG intersecting the subject in the centre is not ideal from my POV. Also i would have wished for the second individual to be fully in the frame , but i guess its lower half must be hidden behind or under the mound. A nice action image , but i am 50-50 on the framing part.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve and Andreas discussing IQ
    I'm not sure we have actually come to blows over IQ over the years, more that you have learnt a few things perhaps???

I very much like the posture and the fact one is more dominating than the other, asserting himself in the dual, good behavioural aspect. Nice to have the mouth open with the teeth showing too. The BKG is a bit messy, but I do like the inclusion of the rocks. You did manage to retain a hint of the falling rain, but going for a much slower SS (as per my comment previously), the 'action' would have been lost. I'm not sure of the overall colour, it does portray being very dark, drab and overcast, highlighted by the ISO too, but I'm wondering if a slight 'tweak/artistic licence' wouldn't hurt?

Sadly I will have to wait for another year I think before I get to see if my Swiss Marmots are still around, but next year will be a busy travelling year for sure, a lot lined up.

A nice action image , but i am 50-50 on the framing part.
    Haseeb, I think Andreas was hiding the fact that the RH Marmot was wearing grey socks to get a mid 'neural' grey as a reference for WB, hence the crop.

TFS
    Steve

PS Cool title...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb and Steve, much appreciate your feedback .

Framing is the best i could do in the field from my POV , as all was happening quickly and with the fixed lens i was somehow limited as you might know . I had to chop something . In post i can crop more ...but i rather keep the pixels and accept a less ideal chopped single subject . Nothing i can do about the BG as the rocks are there and the subject choose where to stay .But i would have for sure liked a plain greenery BG .

I do agree with you Steve about lightness and color, i wanted to reflect the lighting situation with my edit. I also had a lighter version and a different WB ....but decided to go the route as posted . For sure no problem to alter the colors into your direction . With hindsight and your pointer i think i can go a bit in the magenta on the tint side of life . But would keep the blues ....
    And for sure it would not hurt the image ...

Regarding the title , well it was an initial thought ....a funny one for me. Not reflecting our relationship .And yes i might have learned a tiny bit ...LOL,LOL,LOL....over the years . Even if you kept me on the long leash ....avoiding to come too close to the master of detail . Oh i love the grey socks appearing from time to time in your mind ....
    I will post another one of that action ....maybe tomorrow ...already having a funny title in the pipe . Again we are involved .

Thanks again and cheers Andreas

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good conversation Andreas, thanks.

But would keep the blues ....
    Your call, but certainly it can go from the rocks??

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mmm...Which one is Steve, and which one is my German Boetie here Talking about grey socks... I think they are flying in the BG, note the grey patch?

I take it you had no choice in terms of framing, Andreas. And apart from the fact that I would like to see more of the character on the RHS I find the composition quite pleasing overall.

Great techs and sharp as it gets, colour wise I would have personally gone for a warmer version, perhaps slightly brighter, but you were there:)
    Superb action captured and wonderful expression from those two, a very dramatic and captivating scene, truly a pleasure to view

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the interaction and the framing here.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting frame and discussion! I like the image and the sharp differential focus, I appreciate there will be numerous possibilities for determining the correct colour balance/temperature using fur or rocks as a reference point, I think it would be tricky determining which is the best one.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

They are mean-looking teeth for a herbivore - I guess used for defensive purposes rather than eating. And very funny title too. As for the photo, the interaction here is excellent. I especially like the open mouth and the eye on the upper marmot. Tone, colour and detail are excellent, as usual for your work Andreas. I'm not so keen on the bright rock in the background but nothing much you can do about that except maybe darken it a bit to make it less obvious. Overall, an excellent action frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn, Jon , John and Gabriela for your kind comments , always much appreciated .

Jon color as always a matter of taste , i think .

Cheers Andreas