Thread: A Swiss Marmot

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Swiss Marmot

Attached Images Attached Images

Just to keep Andreas company with his Marmots. All I had to do was just lay down and just be patient and not make any sudden gestures or movements and definitely not raise my head.

Steve

Subject: Marmot (Marmota) feeding
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 70-200f/2.8 MKII with 1.4x MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO4000
    Original format: Landscape, minimal crop
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello good sir,are you well?

Steve i love that red stem a masterstroke for me.Cool FC love /adore the pov. slightly unsure on dof,I know why you have chosen this to emphasise that wonderful eye and face, ha ha, ok I think that is why. I am unsure though whether you could have gone deeper,the bk is so effectively blurred is there something limiting dof..................Steve i'm curious as to your dof choice mate please elucidate??

Steve, the framing/detail/processing is fabulous have you darkened that oof bit running the base.

A belter mate dew droplets or rain for icing.can't be bad

Very very clever steve I do love staring at your work . Oh one final Q what mm please mate and how far are you from little fella..............isn't it wonderful how we can hide a human behind a camera,no ,you can't put your head up lol.

stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous shot Steve I like the colours - just about perfect! I appreciate you were close but having a zoom I wonder if you had the chance to zoom back a little - perhaps no maybe this would have spooked the little guy.
    Love the shot but just a tad large in the frame to me, maybe a little more space on the left. I don't think the brown twig does any real harm but neither do I think it adds to the image because I feel we are left wondering precisely what it is (dock?)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Patience and strategy has worked to get a really lovely frame, Steve. I do the same thing when trying to photograph birds: I find it best to work out where a bird might go (or where I'd want it to land) and sit patiently waiting. If nothing else, very relaxing. Back to your image: just about everything is perfect - the POV, background, detail and your handling of tone and colour are fantastic as usual. Relatively shallow DOF works form me. Like Jon, I'm unsure about that stick on the right but it does cause me to look twice and think a little more about this scene. Maybe that's the only justification needed?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

slightly unsure on dof,I know why you have chosen this to emphasise that wonderful eye and face,
    Hi Stu, I chose the DoF because all I wanted was the face and to diffuse the rest of the BKG.

I appreciate you were close but having a zoom I wonder if you had the chance to zoom back a little
    Totally agree Jon/Glenn, however I had to go tight as the old 'ski' lift hut was behind, this is where he would bolt to, and so I had to avoid incorporating the cement base and old wooden panelling, see below. As for the 'stick' well I felt it acted as a 'stop' as he made his way forward, if that makes sense? I also like the additional colour aspect it brought into the palette. It could go however.

cheers
    Steve

6. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Really nice POV and HA, I like this. Wondering if it is a young Marmot - the face is quite sweet and innocent looking but maybe this is what they are like as adults too?

Can you tell me what is he/she munching on? The stem balances the frame nicely and there's some lovely detail in that fuzzy coat. Cool techs and DoF is great. A well captured and processed frame, wonderful natural looking colours and tonality - works for me as presented, thank you so much Steve

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can you tell me what is he/she munching on?
    No idea sadly Gabriela, some fresh shoot 'greenery' I guess.

BTW just popping into L'Escargot this afternoon, talk later.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think he ate that stalk after the photo session, LOL

Do let me know what the "Snail" looks like...

Have a super day, Steve!
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve lovely tight shot of the Swiss Marmot ...
    IQ is good as always ...and i like the somewhat curved appearance of that little chap . DOF spot on as all important parts are sharp , lovely color palette and the tonal range is looking very nice .
    To me they do appear darker in real life , at least the ones i have seen in Austria at different locations . So i might add some more tone to the mid tone range .
    This red stem ...well needs to go for me.

Nice work i think , specially in the field !!!

I would say this is a subadult , from my experience .

TFS Andreas