Thread: Red deer hind

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red deer hind

Attached Images Attached Images

Monopod Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II Auto ISO 1000+1, 1/1250 sec f8
    ACR & PSCC I set Colour Temp to 4300K, I tried some around the 5000 mark but decided this was a little nearer. Later shot I will have set a little warmer when the sun decided to pop out.
    I am not sure if it is still a little early but all the warning signs were out for the rut. I went to a local park and found far fewer deer this year and no signs of combat whatsoever. There were three distinct harems with a dominant stag each bellowing and strutting their stuff...... more to follow.
    This young lady had just been ushered back to the main collection she had gone wandering but the stag said no!. Hope you think there is enough at the base.
    I did not have a great deal of leeway for recomposition at this distance with the 500.
    Had to send my glasses back again so please tell me if you don't like something because I may well have not seen it!
    Anyhow I hope it's not too far short of the mark.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I like the angle of the subject to you and the raised front leg. Although cautious she seemed ok to being so close. Probably would have gone for 1/2000 as you had ISO although I'm not sure about 1000+1 in your intro???

Colour I don't think it's that far off, yes you could have a play and maybe the Purples, Magenta, Greens and a hint of the Tint, but... I might though back off slightly the Contrast & Blacks, have a look .

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John i felt it was my stage in the learning curve ,but seeing Steve's post above ,i'm also confused by iso+1 .
    A lovely image buddy the pov is really great there is just enough oof grasses up front to really make the viewer feel intimacy. John alot of what Steve has mentioned re colour I can't yet comment on but the blacks do feel heavy to me....too strong. But her colour for an animl I know early in the day her also feels right . john what time of day from your post I conclude cloud just curious.

Are these guys fairly used to people john she does seem relazed even the ears have reacted to shutter,unless this frame was pre that reaction? Thanks for the behavioural notes,as always such detail I like your framing!!
    I hope you are well mate, a pleasure to see this !!
    stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again Steve, as mentioned by original image was very much as you had suggested. Once I get playing with Hues it becomes chaos so I try to minimise that side of things and if at all possible avoid it completely.
    Stu I use Auto ISO for most of my images because I predetermine the shutter speed and aperture I want rather than decide to go for ISO 1250 1600 or whatever to see if that gives me the shutter speed I want. It just makes life simpler from my point of view. The +1 means I override the exposure so the camera resets the ISO to overexpose by 1 stop this ensured the exposure was to the right of the histogram.
    In other words I saw the hind and decided 1/1250 sec at f8 would be ok for that distance. I had previously checked the Auto ISO results - they resulted in under exposure hence I set the camera to over expose by 1 stop. I don't know if you can do this with a 1D IV.
    From my point of view I am not primarily concerned about ISO but I am concerned about getting a sharp image, I know image quality with a 1DX is going to be OK into the thousands of ISO, I knew it wasn't dark enough for it to be an issue for to worry about.
    The image was captured at 13.21hr 10/10/2017 it had been raining all day and the weather had begun to improve over the previous hour, it was intermittent sunshine then cloudy/dull.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 10-12-2017 at 03:22 PM.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, tick the box with auto ISO and my feeling is get the SS and worry about the ISO later. It's better to be sharp with a tad of noise than a soft image! The luxury is certainly with the MKII you have about a stops worth of latitude if required and with 'up to date software' most things are achievable.

How about something like this?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, really nice frame of this deer but I think Steve's repost has raised this a few notches and brought it to life. His touch is simply magic although he didn't outline what was done for the RP? The composition works very well for me and I really like one ear cocked towards you - the audio equivalent of eye contact! Detail looks good. Hope you get past the saga with your glasses - must be very frustrating. Thanks for sharing this and look forward to the promised further posts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glenn, Steve yes I like your repost, the colours look good to me, thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

His touch is simply magic although he didn't outline what was done for the RP?
    Colour I don't think it's that far off, yes you could have a play and maybe the Purples, Magenta, Greens and a hint of the Tint, but... I might though back off slightly the Contrast & Blacks, have a look
    Hi Glenn, I actually outlined my thinking in the above, however previous years I was a lot more 'in-depth' in my adjustment feedback, but on reflection it was getting too 'technical', plus what I see or do may not be how other folks see it, and % figures can be subjective in parts. In addition, the way I like to do things is to 'suggest' in terms of direction for the 'author' then to explore and by exploring we learn.

Hope this helps Glenn.

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Glenn, I actually outlined my thinking in the above, however previous years I was a lot more 'in-depth' in my adjustment feedback, but on reflection it was getting too 'technical', plus what I see or do may not be how other folks see it, and % figures can be subjective in parts. In addition, the way I like to do things is to 'suggest' in terms of direction for the 'author' then to explore and by exploring we learn.

Hope this helps Glenn.
    Thanks Steve, and no problems. As the post with the revised image was separate and a few jumps past your original suggestion, I wasn't sure just what you'd done here. So thanks for clarifying.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I may be flogging this one a bit but here's another version, I think she looks a little more cute.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Once I get playing with Hues it becomes chaos so I try to minimise that side of things and if at all possible avoid it completely.
    Jon - Your last few words are key.

The RP is warmer which I like, but if you are looking for 'faithful conditions' does it reflect them?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Jon - Your last few words are key.

The RP is warmer which I like, but if you are looking for 'faithful conditions' does it reflect them?
    We are in unison, accurate colours - GOK!! I think the answer less is more goes here. The closer I can get the original conversion the better, I end up producing too many different versions and then being undecided over which I prefer, but then that is the fun in processing, if everything was a "one off and it will do" it would become boring.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon i am with Steve on this one .
    I do like the way the hind is crossing our view and the lifted leg is taking this a up a notch .
    Technically it does look good ...wish for more a bit more room below for these long legs .Colorwise i think you have done quite well in your OP , Steve has taken it in the right direction i think . If one wish to go warmer ...well i think in early afternoon it is not that warm in the colors , so the RP is quite right from my POV.
    Your RP is very warm ....a matter of taste

TFS Andreas

16. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

A bit late with my comments, just wanted to say I actually like your RP. Yes it is a tad "warm", but there's more "life" in it and the colours look better than in the OP. You could perhaps go for a less saturated look (as per Steve's RP). Or somewhere in-between. I admit I have never seen the species and this makes it difficult for me to express an opinion, so the above is based on how I perceive the scene.

Subject is really cute and I love the alertness in the subject's eyes. The frame really needs more at the bottom, not enough space for the virtual feet. Super BG and I like the vegetation in the FG which gives a 3D feel to the image.

Definitely a keeper and I enjoyed viewing, very much.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

18. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice like the grass the raised front leg and the composition here.

20. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post