Thread: Sally Lightfoot in waves

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sally Lightfoot in waves

Attached Images Attached Images

Seeing Artie Morris's Sally Lightfoot with motion blurred waves washing over it was one of my inspirations in going to the Galapagos. We did not have a lot of opportunities to see this kind of activity in that the tides were not right at many locations where there were opportunities, but I did have one and managed this shot. So, from that perspective I got something too take home. This image was captured with a Canon 1DX (I had loaned my 5DIV to another on the trip for a bit), 400mm DOII, 1/25th (for the motion blur), f/4.0, ISO 100, mounted on a Mongoose 4th generation on an Induro GIT 314L. Processed initially in DPP4. In Photoshop, a 30% or so crop, NIK Detail extractor to get some additional detail in the water, increased the blues a bit for the under carapace and a bit of contrast to add a little more pop. A slight selective sharpening on the crab only.

I am relatively new at posting on this sight and have had some wonderful constructive feed back on the two images I have submitted. Love it so far and thank you.

Hope you enjoy this one as well. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Frank

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank, these are great a&fun subjects to photograph and the vibrant colours just make them so photogenic, Galapagos is a really cool place to photograph for sure.

I think the central placement works and the idea of going for a slow SS to get that 'silky' water cascading over the subject. I think it was good you had the eyes clear of the water. Personally I think you could go a bit more with the Exposure, Clarity and some Curves adjustments for the whites & darks, to get a bit more 'Tonal' range in the capture and finally some more sharpening on the subject, WDYT? I also dropped the blue from within the water, but remember you will get a better result with your Raw compared to working on a 256 colour JPEG .

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank -- This is a fabulous capture , liked the idea and the execution as well. What a beauty of a subject , must have been so fulfilling to get the shot you wanted. Steve's RP has certainly improved this image as it has that much needed punch. A well thought image which I loved watching.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate the feedback Steve and Haseeb. Yep, for the image needed more "pop" and a curves adjustment helped a bunch. I also like the suggestion of removing some of the blues in the water and doing so helps bring out some of the green in the algae on the rocks, but did mask parts of the crab to retain the blues in the carapace and eyes. Not sure yet about adding a little sharpening on the crab. I think that would come when I get to printing the final image.

Once again, do appreciate your thoughts. Very, very helpful.

Frank

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really a creative shot, and executed very nicely.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really interesting and fun shot. I am surprised 1/25 sec kept the crab so well detailed. I think it would indeed make a nice print, a great record to take from the Galapagos. if you were inclined you could brush the clarity selectively if you went back to the raw file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really interesting frame of a very colourful crab. Very creative treatment that works very well for me - and it's something I wouldn't have thought of. Use of tripod has obviously been a key here to keeping good detail in the relatively immobile crab at such a low shutter speed. I like Steve's repost but wonder if the adjustments would have been better restricted just to the crab to make it pop even more while retaining the look of the water in the OP? Just a thought.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank, an option where the blue is removed from the water and just the 'pop' is applied to the subject only as an option???

Not sure yet about adding a little sharpening on the crab. I think that would come when I get to printing the final image.
    Not sure what you mean here Frank, as ALL digital files require sharpening, both at Pre & Post production.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

Appreciate the additional input. Tough to select a favorite. Guess what I was referring to was adding additional localized sharpening on the crab. The image was globally sharpened in DPP4 before brought into Photoshop. In later versions of my original, I took your advise, enhanced the image with a curves adjustment and lowered the blues while masking the crab to retain the blues on the under-carapace and eyes. I also like what the blue adjustment did to enhance the greens in the algae on the rocks. And, subsequently, did do a smart sharpen on the crab to finish it. The image is now much more intense that my original post. What I am unsure about at the moment is whether the adjustments should be global or solely on the crab. I like 'em both.

For background the sharpening comment, I once heard that final sharpening on a finished image should be done at the point you make a decision on its presentation. IE, for the web, small print, large print. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for the suggestions and comments. Appreciated!

PS, I do some of my printing at home on an Epson 3880. Someone suggested this might be good on metal. I have never had that done. Any experience there?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guess what I was referring to was adding additional localized sharpening on the crab
    Correct Frank and that is what I did.

For background the sharpening comment
    Leave the BKG, only sharpe the subject, but some elements near could also be done, personal taste.

I once heard that final sharpening on a finished image should be done at the point you make a decision on its presentation. IE, for the web, small print, large print. Does that make sense?
    Personally I add some pre sharpening and then allow LR to add it at Export. With Print again all done through LR and the sharpening is applied there too. If you are printing yourself or sending it out, you best get the paper ICC colour profiles. Sadly no experience on printing on metal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, got the profiles. Never ventured into LR. Do all my stuff from DPP4 into photoshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank lovely shot of that very nice crab .
    Love that popping thing from the oh so nice and smooth waters !!!!
    Well executed from my POV .
    Steve has taken it where it should be , might leave some of the blues in the water .

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Frank,

So happy to see you sharing more images!

Very well seen and captured, what amazing colours from this Sally Lightfoot Crab. Nice POV and the framing is great, lovely detail on the subject. Steve's second RP is excellent IMO.

I really think the print will look stunning

Have a lovely week-end,
    Gabriela Plesea