Thread: Young sea lion, white sandy beach, Galapagos

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Young sea lion, white sandy beach, Galapagos

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was captured on a recent trip with Arthur Morris to the Galapagos. Love the pose and the high key image on a white sandy beach.

Canon 5Div with a 100/400 IS II, 135 mm with a slight crop to taste, 1/1000, f/ 5.6, ISO 400.

Hope you enjoy. Comments and critiques are always welcome.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank, I like the almost 'regal/diva' in it's look/pose. The overall tones are nice and having a clean background provides good separation and isolates the subject well. I'm kind off 50/50 on the partial front flippers and I'm not sure if they should just disappear or be totally visible.??? Nicely framed although I would suggest a 16x10 crop from the bottom LHC to loose a tad of space above. Personal choice but dropping the blue helps I feel the OOF rear of the sea lion. Any reason why you went for Spot metering rather than Evaluated? Check your settings, I think you meant f/5 rather than f/5,6 . If you look at the histogram you are blowing the HL a tad, just bring the slider down a fraction and the deeper shadows on the inside flippers and nose are showing clipping signs too, again just pull the slider back or use the adjustment brush in PS.

Don't forget to post your thoughts on other threads too, we suggest 3-5 posting, as we can all benefit from each other and it promotes the BPN community too, but most of all - have fun.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve, Appreciate your constructive feed back. I like the partially covered front flippers. Demonstrates the session had been in this position for a bit considering the waves on the beach have partially covered the flippers. I will try your suggestions re the crop and dropping the blue values. How I got to spot metering I haven't a clue but I did notice it later and bent back to evaluative where I usually am. I will also mess with the lighting as suggested.

Yep, will be contributing on other threads as well, but probably will be hanging out in the Avian section for the most part. Not sure what you mean by "3-5 posting".

Thanks again for the look and comments.

Frank

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Frank,

Thank you for sharing this image, I find it very attractive and pose from the seal is superb. Very arty... Or rather "very Artie" Really tempted to try a B/W or toned version here, I think the content lends itself to such treatment - what do you think?

Agree with Steve about the blues as well as HL. Also, you could go tighter for more impact, if you like.

Hope you share some more images from this trip, I am sure Sir Arthur was an amazing host and you had great fun. As well as amazing sightings. Great to see you post in this Forum, we love new members Would be happy to read your comments - technical or otherwise - on other threads, we really crave feedback around here!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Frank,

Thank you for sharing this image, I find it very attractive and pose from the seal is superb. Very arty... Or rather "very Artie" Really tempted to try a B/W or toned version here, I think the content lends itself to such treatment - what do you think?

Agree with Steve about the blues as well as HL. Also, you could go tighter for more impact, if you like.

Hope you share some more images from this trip, I am sure Sir Arthur was an amazing host and you had great fun. As well as amazing sightings. Great to see you post in this Forum, we love new members Would be happy to read your comments - technical or otherwise - on other threads, we really crave feedback around here!

Kind regards,
    Hi Gabriela, that you for the look and feedback. Yep, I agree, a B&W version of the image is worthy of exploring, but I love the wonderful color of reddish browns of the seal. Its a coin toss?????????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, Frank. I really like the 'clean' look of the whole frame with minimal background and foreground and smooth minimalist details on the sea lion. While the colour and tone on this look great to me, I defer to Steve and Gabriela who have a much keener eye at spotting colour and tone issues. Current crop and framing work for me. This is one I'd be very happy with if it was mine.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure what you mean by "3-5 posting".
    Hi Frank, basically for every Thread you post, we suggest Members participate in feedback on 3-5 postings by other Members, in that way there is some good exchange and it's a great way to learn too. Remember, if you have a specific question in relation to YOUR own thread please add it in the intro.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Frank welcome to this forum .
    I do like your first post from the " artsy " POV , the high key works quite nice for my eyes .
    I am fine with the flippers as presented and i would trust Steve on color and tone as i am not looking at a proper screen , he might be right with his thoughts .
    For a better overall image i would like to see the eye open....just my personal view .If possible at that location , i would have preferred a lower shooting angle .
    Still a good starter though , keep them coming and share your thoughts to other threads , that is what its all about i think.

TFS Andreas